Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2003, 01:01 AM   #1
pdawg

Default starting a newsletter

I am thinking about starting a newsletter for my site. I want to be able to notify my users of site updates and also advertise to them via email ... any suggestions for someone getting started ... is it best to use a third party or just collect the info directly into a db of my own? what kind of demographic information should I ask for?

any suggestions would help

thanks
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
mainarea

Buy a script and run it from your server - It'll be much more cost effective than outsourcing it. I do not know what good mailing list scripts let you collect extra info - The one I currently use just collects the email address. I'd guess your site demographics are from 12-24 - about the same as mine. Good luck on advertising to this audience, though. When I advertised my other IM related site to them (them meaning a list of 200,000), I got significant results, but when I advertised cheap magazine subscriptions, I got no leads whatsoever. This is a tough crowd to sell to.

-Josh
mainarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 05:31 PM   #3
jvisco

Pdawg...

Mainarea is right. Building your own list is definately going to be cheaper than outsourcing/buying from a list supplier/builder. However, the catch is that it will also take a lot longer as well.

If your site is relatively new, which it seems to be, then your main short term goal should be to increase your site traffic as quickly as possible in order to make some blangers off of it. Building your own list works great if you already have traffic and aren't hurting for a tonne more, but its kinda hard to do when you are just starting out.

Its a viral thing, if you already have a tonne of traffic you will get a tonne of people subscribing. But, if your traffic is low, your mailing list will probably grow painfully slow.

A good stragtegy for you might be to outsource your list building to start yourself off and then start to build your own list once you get bigger. This way you can start to see results sooner.

If you would like to talk more about outsourcing your list please shoot me an email at jordan@supertaf.com or check out www.supertaf.com or www.millstoneadnet.com

cheers
-jordan
jvisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:40 PM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Welcome to Geek/Talk, Jordan. It's always an event of some magnitude to see another Wondermiller gather up the bravery to enter the Village. Hope your time here is rewarding.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:33 AM   #5
mainarea

Jordan - Pdawg's site IMChaos.com has a 6,078 Alexa ranking. IMCHaos.net (same site) has a 59,252 ranking, and dilutedweb.com (which the link spy service links to) has a ranking of 152,489. That's large enough to build a list of a few thousand people per day. I'm figuring some good conversion rates from people who take the test to people who sign up - maybe around 4-8%. I'm testing out the script "SonicMailer Pro" on my site with a few list sizes. The author has tested it up to 10,000, but I'm testing it up to 78,000 on one list - I'll post my results here. I'll send my emails out around 6PM today.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:54 PM   #6
pdawg

damn m. .. u know my site all too well

well I think I would like to handle the newsletter myself to minimize on costs... So I can obviously make a simple script to gather the information I want (email, ***, age) and store it in my db. But then should I just make a VBscript or something to cylce thru the list and use cdonts to send the emails one at a time? Or will this not be a very efficient way to do this?

What scripts have you used (I know windows best but have a linux box sitting around that I could try and figure out)? Can I have the script interact with a db of email adresses that I create on my own?

Besides email, ***, age ... can you think of anything else that may be useful in asking for?

thanks a bunch
Old 03-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
mainarea

Quote:
damn m. .. u know my site all too well
Well, I have an AIM related site (http://www.ukee.com), and a lot of my friends use your quiz in their profile (Viral marketing through profiles works wonders ).

I don't ask for any info except for email address, so that I do not have to deal with COPPA. I'll post here again around 8 tonight with the results from my mailing list test. What you could always do, is simply log emails in a flat text file (separated by line returns), and then improt that into a mailing list script at a later point.

-Josh

Last edited by mainarea; 03-25-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:48 PM   #8
pdawg

cool, yeah let me knwo how it goes ,,, and i think i wont collect age information... this is what I am thinking about for the collecting emails part...

http://imchaos.com/newsletter.asp

want to keep it simple and straight forward
Old 03-25-2003, 07:46 PM   #9
mainarea

It sent out roughly 1700 emails in 2 minutes and 45 seconds... Now testing on the 13,000 list...
Old 03-25-2003, 09:06 PM   #10
mainarea

It's sending out around 10 emails per second... It's going to take roughly an hour for my 35,000 list - I can't wait until I get to send the email to my 48,000 and 73,000 list. In all, I'm using up 1.4GB of transfer for this mailing (I have a 300GB transfer limit on my server). The average load on my server is around 7 aty the moment. My server is working as normal, with no slow downs.

My server specs are:
Athlon 1800
512MB Ram (Only 480 actually allocated, the rest was faultly allocated to video memory)

-Josh
Old 03-25-2003, 09:41 PM   #11
pdawg

where can i get the script?
Old 03-26-2003, 01:24 PM   #12
mainarea

http://www.sensationdesigns.com/prod...cmailerpro.php

The author only tested it up to a list of around 10,000, but it works fine for list sizes over that. Free upgrades are available right now, and the creator said that they're working on a new version that can send the emails even faster.