Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2003, 12:10 AM   #1
wsz

Default Listing Prices In Sales Text

Rather than just run banners or a "Click Here For XYZ Product" text link, I like to add some extra descriptive text to my affiliate links.

"XYZ Product offers these great features, to meet your needs in this area of your life, blah, blah, blah..."

Of course, I try to have a restrained, "just the facts," tone, avoiding exclaimation marks or excessive hype. Like I'm giving the visitor information to help them.

I was just now writing up some of these items, and examining the sponsor's site for info/ideas. And I came to their, "Order our product for just $X.xx." BUT only after a couple of pages describing the benefits of the product.

What I am wondering is whether is would be wise to specify the price in my own text.

On one hand, visitors might be annoyed if I link to a "freebie" offer, and then they click through to the sponsor's site, and are surprised to be asked for a couple of bucks shipping/handling.

Or they may be willing to pay, but will be annoyed at chasing a product that later turns out to be avove their price-range/budget.

Or they may need the extra boost of the sponsor's site explaining the product in detail, making them feel good about the product, so maybe they can sort of emotionally gloss over crass, minor issues like price.

On the other hand, specifying the price might encourage them. Especially if there is an implication that there will be a discount from the regular price - "These widgets are ususally $30, but right now XYZ Store is letting them go for $19.95," so they will feel like they are actually saving money by buying right here, right now.

Also listin price will weed out lower-budgeted visitors, who may look around my site for other offers/sponsors that look more appealing.

Any comments?
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:00 AM   #2
pdawg

In my experience listing prices has actually helped.

Although I think it will depend specifically on your audience and the type of products advertised. But in general I think listing proces is a good idea since you will get the attention of more "serious" visitors.

I think aside from the "weed out lower-budgeted visitors" you will actually see that you are gaining clicks from serious users as they may not have checked out an ad that is flashy and trying to get them to click ... I think this also is a factor on why plain text ads can do well on a site.

Just my 2 cents but i would suggest cutting any BS and be simple and straight ... list the prices.
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote