Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2003, 01:34 AM   #1
wsz

Question "Canned" Affiliate Text

Hmmm... I'm not sure which forum section this belongs in. So, mods, feel free to move it.

Anyway,

Publishers familiar with CJ and BeFree will have seen their "content links," which have a page-worth of "canned" text promoting a particular sponsor, with descriptions of all of the features, etc.

(Yes, I know that the "ideal" situation is to write up your own customised text review.)

However, I am wondering about other publishers' experiences with just directly cut-n-paste -ing those canned text-blobs into their own site templates.

Have you gotten those pages into mainstream search engines? Have you been penalised for duplication (i.e. other affiliates are using the same text)? Do you have to rely upon PPC engines to get traffic?

Do you generally use these as stand-alone pages, or do you use them as pre-sell pages, where your normal content page links to the page with the content-link stuff?

Thanks in advance...
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 09:00 AM   #2
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Interesting questions. I have two pages on one of my sites that run content from a CJ merchant. Neither of the pages has been penalized by Google (they have the PR one would expect based on depth and the index.html PR). Also I don't think my site as a whole has been penalized.

I'd be interested in hearing from our resident SEO folks about this topic, primarily because I suspect that penalization for content duplication has been blown out of proportion. I suspect that Google will tolerate some duplication, but not a majority of it.

One of my sites has food and cooking jokes, humor, etc., and the bulk of the content can be found on various other sites on the internet. That site hit Google with a PR of 6 and has held at that PR for a year. I tweak the content for grammar, spelling, syntax, and I also tweak it to improve readability, so perhaps my content isn't appraised as being a duplication. And it can't hurt to rewrite the title of the article.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 07:37 PM   #3
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

If it is just a few lines of text, then it probably won't matter at all. However, if the text makes up the majority of your page, there is a small chance you could be penalized.

I have in fact had many pages back from when I did a lot of PPCSE indexed in engines and ranking decently. These pages were usually complete copies of sales material provided by the merchant.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote