Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Google Search Engine and AdWords
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2002, 08:10 PM   #1
Jan

Administrator

Talking Google goes to Aus

For the Aussies www.google.com redirects us to http://www.google.com.au/ now
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:51 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Just noticed that. Fortunately, the default selection still has it that the whole web is searched, rather than favoring AU sites.

I've got a number of #1 and first-page listings for popular keywords in the regular Google search, but none of these shows up when the search is restricted to AU. Pity Google doesn't refer to the whois admin record, rather than go by the domain extension or site content to determine a document's source.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:59 PM   #3
Jan

Administrator

It seems many countries are redirected now, including Canada and Singapore. I guess it takes a load off their servers
Old 12-19-2002, 12:20 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Just a suspicion, but I think it's more a case of Google looking to create a platform through which it's better positioned to sell localized services. While they already offer geo-targeting through AdWords, media buyers and consumers alike may choose to abandon their familiar regional portals once Google rolls out regional news services, search results, ad sales units and the like.

I think these pages will still be served by the thousands upon thousands of servers that Google operate out of their US datacenters, but that may change eventually.

Incidentally, those with memberships at WebmasterWorld may like to read the following thread, entitled 'How does Google work out where a site is located?' for further info on the issue:
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum3/4175.htm
(Sadly, the thread is resticted to members only, and Google hasn't saved a cache of the thread (robots.txt?).

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 12-19-2002, 12:34 AM   #5
Jan

Administrator

Not sure if anyone has noticed this before, I don't come to this particular forum very much, but typos also get redirected (If it has been mentioned, [the typos] my apologies in advance)

www.gogle.com
www.gooogle.com
www.googel.com
Old 12-19-2002, 11:31 AM   #6
OC

But they still don't have http://www.googol.com/ !
OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by OC
But they still don't have http://www.googol.com/ !
And that's where they got they name.

Guess they know that they can't legally claim ownership to a number, and are happy to settle with the searchbox and text link back.

Old 12-20-2002, 03:25 AM   #8
maddeningcrowds

There has been a google.co.uk for a long time, but you don't get redirected automatically if you try the .com.
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:46 PM   #9
kryton

Quote:
Originally posted by maddeningcrowds
There has been a google.co.uk for a long time, but you don't get redirected automatically if you try the .com.
Me too and I'm pleased. Altavista began the downward slide when they started redirecting.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 02:58 PM   #10
Jarusa

For those in Australia who for some reason do not like being redirected, if you enter search terms with the google toolbar you are taken to the (old) google.com.

I have only tested this on version 1.1.66-deleon/en of the toolbar.

This may also work for other countries that are currently redirected.
Jarusa is offline   Reply With Quote