Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2002, 05:34 PM   #1
bebox

Default Redesign of our site

We recently relaunched with a complete redesign of our site - www.iseekgolf.com - that took me close to nine months to design and implement...yikes! It was changed from static HTML and much updating to a PHP/mySQL site which allows for databasing of all the articles thereby creating a great library of golf articles for our users as the months progress and of course many other benefits!

The site is going very well after 2 years of very long hours but I would like to hear people's ideas and comments about the site.

Thanks for your time
B

Last edited by bebox; 12-08-2002 at 05:35 PM.
bebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:29 PM   #2
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb

Hi bebox

Welcome to the "Village"

Outstanding work. I love the white space, use of color, UI, and the rest of the site. INcluding the content.

Since Iv'e run out of praise I thought we could exspand this thread if it's OK with you.

Study this site which uses Hyperseek:

http://www.golfhelp.com/

Joe sells his own adverts and I mention it to stimulate thought with respect to how you may alter your design if you are so inclined.

Given the lucritive nature of the "Golf Space" and your outstanding content I would suggest a "Advertise" link in your Contact drop down. I normally don't like this in a new site but yours is an exception.

HTH
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 04:55 PM   #3
bebox

Hi Steve_S,
Thanks for the praise.....always keen for that I appreciate an outside points of view as you never know whether what you think is good is what everyone else thinks is good! The hits for the new site seem to suggest everyone is liking the new design though....

Thanks for the Golf Help link, we get quite a few hits through from our listing on their site and they are certainly very comprehensive. I had a look at thier advertising listing and they have some great ideas and they also keep the prices low and go for volume which I think is a cool idea.

Not sure what you meant by "Hyperseek" though?

Thanks for the feedback Steve...

B
Old 12-09-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
mikesgt2

Absolutly Excellent!!!

Good work
mikesgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:05 PM   #5
qRah

It's sleek. Very nice, clean graphic quality. Links work nicely. I don't see a "Join Us" link on the front page, just beneath "Members," where, if I were a golf enthusiast and interested in joining, I would want to find it. I did find it on another page, tho, through Help. (Does "Member Login" serve as a New Member Registration, as well?) What I'm saying is, it isn't immediately clear how someone would go about registering.

Rah
qRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:44 PM   #6
bebox

Hi qrah,
Thanks very much for the feedback.

There are three "Join NOW" links on the front page:
- First one is inside the blue menu at the top
- Second one is towards the top of the page beside the green number two
- Third one is in the big orange outlined box that always sits on the right hand nav bar

You got me worried now that other people are missing them too, I thought I had covered all options!

Anyway thanks again and glad you liked the design...all comments are appreciated!

B
Old 12-19-2002, 12:33 PM   #7
qRah

Oh, gee.

1 - is in Features. (I did scroll through and simply didn't see it)
2 - uh-huh. Now I see it. (It blends in with the other headers, in my op.)
3 - The "Search" box?

It's not that the links aren't there - It's just that they're difficult to recognize. (Either that, or we're just to bloomin' blind and lazy to see 'em!).

I know this is minutiae, but, if folks who are trained to see how design elements work or don't work are missing something within the design, perhaps it's something to consider?

Rah (picking nits)

PS-I *still* like your site. And I feel a bit sheepish about missing three links.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:55 PM   #8
bebox

No worries, qRah - We defin want to know any feedback like that and I wasn't having a go at you for mentioning it

People rarely tell me anything until 6 months later and then it all comes out and then I can get it fixed. The best feedback is unbiased and so yours is much appreciated.

Hopefully you did notice the big "JOIN NOW. WIN THESE" graphic box in the right hand bar....that's the new one to make it easier to JOIN.

Cya mate and thanks
B

Last edited by bebox; 12-26-2002 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:41 PM   #9
besimple

I'd say very professional and very nicely setout......usability wise

Besimple
besimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 09:22 PM   #10
bebox

thanks besimple.....That is what I was aiming for and will be changing around a few more things over the coming months to try and make it better. Thanks for the feedback..

B
Old 02-07-2003, 12:38 PM   #11
qRah

"Hopefully you did notice the big "JOIN NOW. WIN THESE" graphic box in the right hand bar....that's the new one to make it easier to JOIN. "

Heh-heh-heh. Just went back to it. I shore do see it! Reckon that'll stand out enough.