Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2000, 12:01 PM   #1
DJ_B

Unhappy Is HTML only in English?

After writing some HTML it occured to me, that heck, this HTML is in English! Now here is my question...for other countries, do they have there own HTML in their own languages? It must be a pain in the butt for non-english speaking people to learn HTMl. If this isn't thew case, all of us English-speaking people are lucky that HTML in a language like Chinese isn't the web-standard. Heck, HTML is hard enough to learn in English, yet alone in Chinese =)
Thanks for your time

[This message has been edited by DJ_B (edited 08-12-2000).]
DJ_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 12:23 PM   #2
zMan

Unhappy

What the phuke are you talking about? Now see, it's people like you who crack me up and make my day! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

HTML is HTML! See, now you confused me.

Anyway, I am sure there aren't any commands like

<Chang_Chie="kaboom">

- zMan
zMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 01:34 PM   #3
DJ_B

Unhappy

Oops! I didn't mean to say "for other countries, do they have there own HTML in their own languages"...what the puke was I talking about!? Basically what I meant, is this. HTML is obviously in English, eg. HTML= Hyper Text Markup Language. Last time I checked, Hyper Text Markup Language are 4 English words. Now this must get confusing for a non-english speaking person. Par example, the <title> tag is pretty obvious to us english speaking folks as to its meaning, but to a non-english speaking person, it isn't so obvious. So my questions are as follows:
1) Why was English chosen as the language for HTML.
2) Are there any people on this forum, who learned HTML without prior knowledge of the English language? If so, did you find it difficult to learn HTML (it would be really great if someone responded who speaks a language with a different lettering system such as Chinese).
I hope you guys get what I am trying to say (heck, sometimes I don't even understand what I am saying!)
P.S. I am glad I made your day Zman http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
DJ_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 02:23 PM   #4
qpabani2

Unhappy

english is becoming the worldwide communitcation language.. whoever doesnt know english will not succedd very far in first world countries
qpabani2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 05:00 PM   #5
kris
Member.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by qpabani2:
english is becoming the worldwide communitcation language.. whoever doesnt know english will not succedd very far in first world countries
how true..

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 05:16 PM   #6
KHN
Member.

Unhappy

Well, first of all the internet was invented in the US by some guy name Al Gore (illegibly). Therefore, the language better be in English too. What the hell did you think it should of been in?? If it was created in china, then it would be in china. I can't imagine how anybody could type in chiness charactors. Hell, there are millions of them.

------------------
KHN
www.thefreeguide.com - Free Stuff and Webmaster Resources!!
www.totalclipart.com - Your #1 Source to Free Clip Art Sites!!

[This message has been edited by KHN (edited 08-12-2000).]
KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 07:30 PM   #7
anton

Talking

2KHN:

Isn't Internet was created in UK or somewhere in those parts ?? ... Because some time ago I read article about that , and it's said that internet was invented not by US ...

------------------
anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 07:47 PM   #8
aircav

Unhappy

H1 DJ_B

Welcome to the board.

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ_B:
It must be a pain in the butt for non-english speaking people to learn HTMl.
[This message has been edited by DJ_B (edited 08-12-2000).]
Your right english is a bear to learn. My worst subject in school and one of the hardest language to learn. Since the net was develop in the US it is only logical for everything being develope using english. In aviation everything is done in english. This is the international language for pilots.

Well anyway welcome aboard
Aircav

aircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2000, 08:07 PM   #9
aircav

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by anton:
2KHN:

Isn't Internet was created in UK or somewhere in those parts ?? ... Because some time ago I read article about that , and it's said that internet was invented not by US ...
Hi anton

You might want to check out this link: http://www.isoc.org/internet-history/brief.html#Origins

Seems like the US and UK were both working on the ideal back in the mid sixties. Each not knowing what the other was doing.

See Ya
Aircav
aircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 10:13 AM   #10
qpabani2

Unhappy

lol - the US - they think they are the center of the world :P. this is where english came from - the UK - or for you slower folks, ENGLISH came from ENGLAND.
qpabani2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 10:20 AM   #11
Doc

Talking

Then we Americans fixed it, and turned it into the first rate world dominating language it is today!!

(Note: Some Canadians tried this, but their inability to keep the word "eh" from following each and every other word in the language ultimately ended their chances at Language Glory)
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 10:37 AM   #12
Katharena

Arrow

So, is the html language only readable by computers if the commands are written in english? is java, c++, perl etc? does anyone know?

------------------
Katharena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 11:03 PM   #13
KHN
Member.

Unhappy

Then look who beat the C-R-A-P out of who on the 4th of July a few hundred years ago.

------------------
KHN
www.thefreeguide.com - Free Stuff and Webmaster Resources!!
www.totalclipart.com - Your #1 Source to Free Clip Art Sites!!

[This message has been edited by KHN (edited 08-13-2000).]
KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 11:32 PM   #14
WildComputer

Unhappy

Quote:
Then we Americans fixed it, and turned it into the first rate world dominating language it is today!!
So the reason that English is spoken/used in Canada, India, Caribbean Countries, many African countries, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Pakistan, Australia, NZ, etc. is ??

FWIW I read somewhere that American English is closer to 18th century English that English English which was "fixed up" by English Classics teachers in the 19th century

Perl/Java/C++/C/etc all use English for reserved words.

Most programming languages evolved in the US, and I think Switzerland is the 2nd country - but the Swiss languages are English reserved words too

------------------
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote