Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2002, 11:24 AM   #1
darnell

Exclamation New CA LAW regulates e-mail services

According to this article users have to be given 30 days notice by an e-mail service provider before shutting down service. This law goes into effect Jan. 1 and does not affect ISPs, just services like Everyone.net, Yahoo Mail and Hotmail. The pure e-mail services.

So I guess this means if we ever want to cut off ties with Everyone.net then we have to give them over 30 days notice and then they must contact every user (even those that opt-out of ever being contacted) and tell them the service is going away. I'm just guessing that's how it may work.

I don't like this at all. If states keep this up it will be hard to keep track of which state has what kind of law. Not to mention I don't want to have to give Everyone.net over 30 days if they do something that makes me want to terminate my relationship with them right away .

Last edited by darnell; 10-07-2002 at 11:26 AM.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:03 AM   #2
Jan

Administrator

I am pleased about this part at least
Quote:
The law, which goes into effect Jan. 1, does not apply in situations where an account holder has violated the terms of service or when service is interrupted for reasons beyond the e-mail provider's control.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote