Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2002, 09:03 AM   #1
maxpower

Default Spamvertisement causes my Host to flinch

Here is a new one, for me anyways...

A website, that I would call shady, sent out a spamvertisment last weekend that contained a section called "Site of the Week". In that section they included a link and a brief description for my site roadragers.com.

To be clear, they did this and not me. They did not ask to include my site, they just did it.

The spamvertisment also contained a whole bunch of links back to their own site pricewheels.com.

The problem occured because they sent this ad out to a lot of email addressed which had not signed up to their newsletter. I can attest to this because I personally received two copies of this exact SPAM and deleted them without noticing that my site was mentioned. Obviously pricewheels.com is sending out their newsletter to people who did not subscribe.

Meanwhile the SPAM cops were sending complaints about this site, and they also included complaint(s) to my host merely because my site is "mentioned" in the SPAM mail.

So essentially I get a complaint. My site is still running, but it is kick in the face for me. I have emailed pricewheels.com and politely asked them to remove my site from their mailings and site. I did this at the urging of my host. I have no response yet. Possibly when they SPAM again, I am afraid that further complaints will cause my host will kill my site.

My host and I have been through a lengthy email discussion where they have cited the terms of service that state that "if you have anything to do with SPAM" they have the right to kill your site. My host is compassionate with me, but they say there is nothing they can do.

It is a tenuious position we are all in my friends...
maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote