Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2002, 04:44 PM   #1
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Question Selling stuff, text or images, and can there be too many text links?

Do text links make more sales (amazon.com for example) just like they make more leads? And is it possible to have too many text links, even if it doesn't take up any more space then the images took up?

I just changed my top amazon links from six images to 26 text links.

Tip: See the 13 tiny black images on the right? That's a great way to get listed in search engines like Google with out even submiting the sites.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:24 PM   #2
Jack

I really don't know how that will affect your clicks/conversions but it is possible it will be ignored just as much as a banner due to placement (near the top) and the fact that it remains the same (visitors blocking it out over time). So, those in effect may turn into a banner for a visitor over time. But, I do feel it will convert better than the banner just because your previous banner may not be so obvious that you can click it to buy.

Regarding the Google things: It would be quite easy for Google to flag smaller images and then penalize sites for using them. Your best bet is to turn them into text. If you do this, you also get the added benefit of better rankings under a keyword for the sites you list (Google takes into account the linking text for what you the page you linked. If you have the text "Nintendo" in your link to another one of your sites, then that site would become more relevant for the term "Nintendo").
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 07:10 PM   #3
kryton

I believe text links work best when integrated into your content.

People ignore areas of the page they know to be adverts, in your case removing a eye catching advert may be worse. If people know your site well, they will still ignore your text links which are even less eye catching than graphics.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 04:24 AM   #4
firstmark

text links work best.
You have to place them intelligently and be specific to the page they are on for them to really work.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 05:16 PM   #5
Nintendo

Lightbulb

Yep, text links are much better than images for selling stuff, and it looks like it's not possible to have too many text links. My Amazon.com clicks and sales have more than doubled since I changed the links from images to text!!!

:::removing a eye catching advert may be worse

Actually I never had any eye catching images there, just box images of some of the games.

Last edited by Nintendo; 08-31-2002 at 05:19 PM.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
kryton

Quote:
Originally posted by Nintendo
My Amazon.com clicks and sales have more than doubled since I changed the links from images to text!!!
Wow, that is huge improvement.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 07:23 PM   #7
JP Sauve
Member.

Text links are WAY better, and I'll give you hint about them. If you're selling a product (or an affiliate link to one) for something that generates larger than average income (say $25 or more), make your descriptive text before the text link LONGER. A whole page for example. Two or more pages if you're talking about $100+ profit.

It's been proven that if someone invests the time in reading a full page about something, he's more likely to click through and ultimately purchase.

Of course scatter the text link around a little on the page for those looking to buy quickly, but a LONG ad text will increase the click through rate and definitely conversion.
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 07:42 PM   #8
firstmark

Use a short text link leading to a larger textual description of the product which then leads to the merchant. This way you can fit the little text link in more pages with limited effect on your other ads.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote