Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2002, 08:37 PM   #1
darnell

Lightbulb USPS.com now allows postage printing on-line

I've been using Stamps.com to print postage and was thinking that it was great that they now allow me to print regular stamps via my PC. But I was keeping an eye on SimplyPostage.com and Endicia.com, in case they ever offered a better deal for what I need.

But today I was looking at the US Post Office's web site and noticed this page where they now allow you to print postage directly FROM THEIR WEB SITE!!! You can print Express Mail, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed and Global Express Mail. You can even get E-Delivery Confirmation (for free) or Signature Confirmation. (There may be other options, but maybe I missed them.) You can even print the labels without postage. I have not tried it yet, but I'm thinking that there may not be any extra fees like with the other services.

I plan to try it sometime soon, but someone else let me know how it goes if you use it.

Maybe soon they will offer some other International shipping options outside of the most expensive one . This is a good start though.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 10:30 PM   #2
darnell

Just to let everyone know. I tried the service tonight. IT'S GREAT!!! No extra fees at all. Just the actual cost of the postage.

It does print on a full page, so full page adhesive labels are best.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:20 PM   #3
darnell

Unhappy

I asked the folks at USPS.com if they have any plans to offer a cheaper international shipping option like Global Priority Service via their new postage printing service. This was the response:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. At this time there are no plans to incorporate
Global Priority Mail service into the online Shipping Labels. We apologize
for any inconvenience.

USPS Internet Customer Care Center
icustomercare@usps.com
I don't want to use their Global Express service. My customers don't need my stuff OVERNIGHT. I mean shipping would cost more than the product in some cases.

So this is yet another example of a shipping service making it hard for web sites to service non-US customers. The online postage shipping service offers domestic prority mail service, but not international priority service.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:11 PM   #4
OC

Great find! Thanks!
OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 08:06 AM   #5
Kathy

Thanks for the info! Just another FYI about this:

It requires a laser printer (not an inkjet) so beware of the system requirements when setting yourself up!

(I'll have to get my PC out...because it won't use Macs either )
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 12:46 AM   #6
w3exit

Just wondering, after deducting the costs of ink (on an inkjet), are there really cost savings from printing postage online ... wouldn't it be cheaper to get it from the stores or post office during one of the errands?
w3exit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:49 AM   #7
darnell

Quote:
Originally posted by w3exit
Just wondering, after deducting the costs of ink (on an inkjet), are there really cost savings from printing postage online ... wouldn't it be cheaper to get it from the stores or post office during one of the errands?
By far it is still cheaper to use the USPS.com service.

Printing postage online uses ink and paper/labels too. The cost of printing on a full sheet label are so small that it's far less than the money spent on fees using a 3rd party on-line postage printing service.

Buying postage from the Post Office or a store (brick and mortar purchase) is not cheaper for me either. Because I ship using Delivery Confirmation. That's an extra 45 cents at the Post Office. The USPS.com service offers free electronic delivery confirmation.

So the USPS.com service is by far the best deal. I was even able to pass the savings on to my customers. So now they don't have to pay as much either . That's what I call a win-win situation .

Using this system I only have to enter a Post Office if I need to send a package outside the USA. Since I would then use Global Priority Service, which is not offered by USPS.com's postage/label printing service.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:12 PM   #8
Kathy

Darnell,
Can you enlighten me? When you say that the postage is printed on a full sheet label, I'm assuming that you are purchasing labels, full sheet (8 1/2 x 11) and its one label. How many labels can you print on that one label?

Or...are you using the label sheets with 6 labels on each sheet?

Label sheets are expensive...can you share with me how you are using one label sheets?

Thanks!
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 01:51 PM   #9
darnell

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathy
full sheet (8 1/2 x 11) and its one label.
That's what I use. You can use a 8.5X11 sheet of paper, but then you must attach that to your package without covering the barcode. That's an even cheaper option.

1 sheet is only good for one label unfortunately. Because one half of the sheet is the actual label/postage and the other half of the sheet is your receipt. No way to change these settings.

It's new and I figure it can only get better. Even using a full sheet I'm saving. Because the Electronic Delivery Confirmation is free (you can print labels with E-Delivery confirm even if you are not printing postage ). And since I don't have to pay any extra fees (like with other services) the cost of the full sheet labels is no biggie. I just buy packs of 100 from Staples.

So if you want to buy the actual postage from the Post Office you can. If you know how much it will cost. Then leverage the USPS.com label printing service for free E-Delivery Confirmation services. Still takes a full sheet though.