Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPA Programs > Making Money with Regional Affiliate Programs and Networks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
FreeArcade
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb Should we block all foreign traffic?

<Aside>I feel like starting up some controversy today.</Aside>

Since advertisers are only willing to pay for U.S. Traffic, and since we have to pay for bandwidth no matter where the traffic is coming from, should we block foreign traffic from accessing our sites?

What do you think?
Old 05-10-2002, 10:52 AM   #2
Blubster

<irony> Suuuure, that will definetely boost your business and the entire industry </irony>
Blubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 10:54 AM   #3
Blubster

hmm... will you give me more of those impressions @ FastClick if I block my foreign traffic? (seriously)
Blubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:04 AM   #4
FunPortal
Member.

For me there is English Speaking Traffic then everything else. It's not that i have a problem with certain countries it's just non-english speaking people are lost on my English written site and take no action like i would lost and not click around on a Russian or French etc.. site.

It would be nice if the non-english person would be transfered to a site in thier language that there is some kind of deal for traffic. Sometime soon some company is going to figure out that niche.
FunPortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:25 AM   #5
FreeArcade

Blubster:
The only thing we control about our Fastclick campaign is the total number of impressions per month, and the creatives.

Everything else is handled by Fastclick. I doubt if they are doing any geo-targeting but i don't know for sure.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:25 AM   #6
Lil_Red

The reality in the current market is that non-English traffic is pretty much worthless to the major ad networks.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 12:14 PM   #7
JP Sauve
Member.

While probably not as large, there must be foreign ad networks interested in this traffic? Problem is like I mentioned in another thread, I don't think there's any one particular network for all international leads. So you'd need to find a separate network for UK, another for Canada, another for China, a different one for Russia, etc.
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 12:36 PM   #8
kryton

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeArcade
Everything else is handled by Fastclick. I doubt if they are doing any geo-targeting but i don't know for sure.
FastClick must geotarget. I'm not with them, but all the other ad-networks that I use do, including DoubleClick, Adtegrity, Advertising.com, ValueClick and Focuin.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 12:50 PM   #9
BlazeBox

For the record, Fastclick can geo-target to individual countries as well as to states, cities, and designated marketing areas in the US. Seems geo-targeting is a necessity these days ...
Old 05-10-2002, 12:59 PM   #10
rolli
Member.

Thumbs down

As I already mentioned in another thread:
Americans are only thinking regional not to say utterly provicial ( that would hit it better ) The real world citizens and globalisators live abroad. What would the financial und industrial part of America say on such a nonsense.

Jonny
rolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 02:03 PM   #11
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by rolli
As I already mentioned in another thread:
Americans are only thinking regional not to say utterly provicial ( that would hit it better ) The real world citizens and globalisators live abroad. What would the financial und industrial part of America say on such a nonsense.

Jonny
If this is the case, why are so many non-US members of the world so desperate to get into US ad networks and get US dollars? Why aren't they using ad networks from their own countries?
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 02:12 PM   #12
lmergen

Because there are no internationally oriented ad networks in their own countries...
lmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 02:39 PM   #13
Xander

Most ad networks are thinking regional, not just American ad networks.
Why? Because the companies that are running ads via these networks are only interested in traffic from a specific region/country.
Apparently it is not cost effective for these companies to try and reach a broader audience.

But in response to the question:
"Should we block foreign traffic from accessing our sites?"
I would say: No.
This is still the World Wide Web.

If a site can't survive without resorting to these kind of measures, I think you should consider shutting that site down.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 02:41 PM   #14
firstmark

The problem with geotargeting is that an adnetwork with employees who speak english and live in America is not going to be able to recruit many nonenglish language advertisers from their offices in America with their english language employees.
Plus its a lot of trouble. Most networks can sell US, UK, Canada, and other English language traffic via geotargeting. Selling spanish, french, german, italian, and what not traffic is a bit harder. Plus what international advertiser really wnats to advertise on a site in a foreign language (english) if they don't have to all things being equal.

There are networks like adlink and others that specialize in non US traffic but with the small amounts of traffic from an individual country that a site has its hard to justify the time of targeting and acquiring ads and adnetworks for a given country.

An aggregator working with all the foreign networks could make a tidy amount though, and that indeed is a market. Tradedoubler requires UK residency and a UK bank account to join their Europeon network, so there are hurdles in many forms for US publishers with international traffic.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 02:50 PM   #15
Gogi

Not so long ago there were a topic named "Do you run your site for money or for passion?" (or something like that). And as I remember most webmasters concluded that they run for passion. FreeArcade, I think if you consider a visitor of your site as a source of few cents you should definetly block (bun, delete, fight) foreign traffic. But I appreciate all visitors and no matter where are they from.
Gogi is offline   Reply With Quote