Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2002, 12:09 PM   #1
brigarkee

Question Privacy on my server?

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with this, but I am starting a member only forum, and will be charging for entry. I wanted to find out what the best way would be to keep information private on my server. I don't know whether I should put downloads in my cgi-bin or in www area of my server. I don't know a whole lot about using htaccess, but the members will have to sign up then wait for acceptance, then will have access, and I don't want for them to have to constantly enter an id/pass to get to every section, however, I do not want for it to be accessible to any search engine that may have spidered the site and picked it up for some reason.
Any help on this would be very much appreciated, and I appologize if this post is totally confusing.

Thanks so much
brigarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 12:30 PM   #2
Scuba

Look at the site www.bpath.com
one of the services they are offering is just this.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 12:59 PM   #3
brigarkee

Actually, that is exactly what I am looking for, and I don't mind paying for something but I would prefer that it was a one time, and not ongoing charge, as this site will be brand new, and I'd rather on top of hosting charges not put more money into it, then I'm getting out of it.
Do you possibly know of anything else that would either be a one time charge, or some script that would be able to handle this?

Thanks alot for the quick response on that Scuba!

Also... I accidentally pushed the wrong button and started this reply in a thread of its own.... I want to appologize for this, and let someone know so that it can be removed.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2002, 02:01 PM   #4
Scuba

Do a search about "user autentication script".

Personaly am thinking on creating such a service with more features but it's too soon to know where this will go or when...
All depend on how fast I will come up with a new job that I will need two weeks from now
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:14 PM   #5
brigarkee

Thumbs up

Thanks Scuba... found one.. have a good day!