Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Search Engine Marketing & Optimization
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2002, 07:17 PM   #1
brian 2468

Default search engine spidering

When the search engines have your site listed, will they continually crawl over and update newer pages? I have noticed a few of my pages were picked up besides my main site homepeage. I am going to make changes so the other pages that dont get crawled on have a better chance of being spidered........ will I need to submit again......
Animal Trial
brian 2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:47 PM   #2
sdarken

Most search engines will crawl your site and find new pages. Make sure that your new pages are easily reached from pages which are already indexed (and preferably from your homepage). Some search engines will not crawl very deeply so may not find all pages.

A good approach is to link to all your main pages from a sitemap and link to the sitemap from your home page.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:01 AM   #3
brian 2468

sdarken...thanks I made up some other pages which are linked back to the homepage, does the link have to be a visible link on the homepage because some are not.
brian 2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 11:42 AM   #4
sdarken

If it is important that spiders find your new pages, try and make sure that they are at least linked to a page which is linked to the home page. Obviously not every page will be linked to the home page but the flatter your site structure, the better.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 06:53 AM   #5
Scuba

I have created a file for a site map ( http://www.highvid.com/site_map.shtml )
This page is more to flat the site down for SE's then to be usefull for users.

My question (if any body is into this type of stuff), will a page like this make it more simple for SE's to spider my site, or will I get some kind of penelty for doing it.

Curently I have not actualy linked this page from the home page
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote