Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2002, 07:28 PM   #16
Knut

As for me, I still visit Geek/Talk every day. I post less than I used to, but only because I have a limited amount of time to spend on these things
Old 02-18-2002, 07:44 PM   #17
kryton

I visit and read everday, but I don't always post (This thread is a good reason to post, LOL).
Old 02-18-2002, 07:57 PM   #18
qball0213

I'm a heavy lurker, but only because it seems when I post, I kill the discussion, hehe. Really have learned a lot here though, seems this is where the heavyweights come to bullsh*t.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:21 AM   #19
mtgm

I haven't been posting here for a couple of reasons. The first reason being lack of time, and the second being all the "in-your-face" advertisements. I used to be a frequent visitor here (all of you old timers probably remember me), but things change and I started seeing repetition of topics, more rules, etc. For example, it is not necessary for the << READ ME >> message to be below everyone's signature. I think we get the point...

If I see something of interest, however, I will definitely make an effort to post.

Last edited by mtgm; 02-19-2002 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:49 AM   #20
AhmedF

I personally have gone into lurker mood ... dont go looking for networks anymore.

As a side note, I have never understood the concept of 'post count pushing' ... who cares how man times you have posted.

Oh well ... I guess Im just not with it
Old 02-19-2002, 03:00 AM   #21
DownDiver

I've been a lurker for quite some time now, myself. I read it every day to stay up to date.

Usually if I have something beneficial to add to the thread then I'd post....hence my dramatic post count...
Old 02-19-2002, 03:51 AM   #22
Jan

Administrator

There are no rules to say you have to post a certain amount in a given time
Old 02-19-2002, 04:32 AM   #23
Blubster

in my site's forums, the users feel like there's a racing or something... sincerely I like to see them jokeing about that, they are very "implicated" in the site and that's great. Of course my forum are much more informal than this one, almost no moderation, they post about music & life... I like my forum as it is.

IMHO it would be impossible to make a professional forum like this without strong rules, moderation and so. I think that if GeekTalk were not as it is, I wouldn't have learned what I am learning, and probably the ad networks would not care about the postings here. I like GV as it is.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:01 PM   #24
Chazhound

Well, I'm starting a new company so
haven't had the time to post as much
as usual.

I used to be frustrated with all the rules
here but realized that there has to be a
balance for the publishers and merchants alike.

In another forums, when a webmaster accuses
a merchant of cheating with a strong rational,
the other webmasters tend to take head.
Sort of like a "us" against "them" attitude.

GV allows web publisher and merchant to
develop a certain trust so we can all
concentrate on how we can partner to profit.

Chazhound
Old 02-19-2002, 10:13 PM   #25
DJ_B

The pop-ups which appear are one determing factor on why my visits to Geek/Village are less frequent now. I dont mind seeing one every time I visit, but every time I visit a forum and press "Back" on my browser to see the sammeeeee pop-up is a bit unnecessary.

One of my favorite things about Geek/Talk used to be its limited number of forums. Now there are like 238470017243073426 forums!!! Its too time consuming for me to visit each one when I get on here for just a few minutes.

But with that said, Geek Talk is still a wonderfull forum that just needs to undergo some small changes. Maybe Steve could post a topic asking for users basically to Rip his site apart -maybe a..............*gasp* "site review"*gasp* Sure most of the suggestions might be totally ridiculous, but I'm sure there would be a few good ones!
Old 02-19-2002, 10:39 PM   #26
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ_B
The pop-ups which appear are one determing factor on why my visits to Geek/Village are less frequent now. I dont mind seeing one every time I visit, but every time I visit a forum and press "Back" on my browser to see the sammeeeee pop-up is a bit unnecessary.
Do use Netscape too???
Old 02-20-2002, 03:36 AM   #27
DJ_B

Internet Explorer 5.0 on a Mac...

It gets quite annoying seeing the pop-up every time you click the back button
Old 02-20-2002, 04:05 AM   #28
gallery

Hey, I'm there.

The reason I post less is that I have more and more sites to update. My business takes quite a lot of time besides my full time job.

Anyway, I come here nearly everyday. GV is Great as usual.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:59 AM   #29
freakysid

Quote:
Originally posted by singloon
actually i'm missing in action more these days here because i'm actually making more money and have less time hehe
Yes singloon - you are not so regular on other forums too these days - which is a pitty because I always like your perspective and technical knowledge on server tweeking, etc No disrespect - I know how valuable time is

I am a massive lurker of these forums. Yes, it is sad when you hear of XYZ and you have to come here to geektalk and do a search to find out whether XYZ really pay!

I guess I am a lurker because I am basically a programmer that finally built up enough confidence to have a go at doing a bit of web entrepreneurship on the side as a hobby - well mainly as fun hehe. So this forum is all background knowledge for me. It took me about six months of luking around webhostingtalk forums before I decided which dedicated server host to go for - call me conservative

So I lurk around here too. Which brings me to another point. I guess the very low effective CPM (regardless of which model you are using CPM, CPA, CPC, etc) means that there is a much higher threshold before even considering affiliate programs, banner networks etc becomes viable. So often on various forums around the web, I read threads in the vein of:

[op] I have a entertainment web site that receives X number of uniques per day/month - which CPM network do you recommend? I applied for X, Y, Z - but I never got a response/they rejected my site!

[respondents] Forget it - networks just don't have the inventory, that segment is crowded, you don't have enough traffic, blah.

For example, I posted here a few weeks ago about which affiliate programs (CJ and others) I should consider and apply to for St. Valentine's Day promotions. I was greatful for the advice I received, and applied and was accepted for the relevent affiliate programs, etc. But, at the end of the day, after sitting down to my PC and going through my email at 8PM in the evening having received all these acceptance/welcome letters, etc, I thought over the cost/benfit of putting time into putting together a Valentine's Day promo - and it just was not worth it. Don't worry, it's not as pathetic as it seems - my site is really new, and current traffic just didn't justify it time wise. My only point is that there is obvioulsy a much higher threshold of traffic required to make effort worthwhile when it comes to promoting affiliate progs, and chasing CPM, etc, these days/

I do have to make a point of agreeing that these forums are well run. That is what makes them valuable. A sign of this is the fact that reputable ad network operators post here too. Cudos to Steve and the team that keep the forums above board.

A rather controversial point I will make is that one of the dissapointing things about these forums (and I feel safe saying this here - whereas on some forums you would get your thread thrown for saying anything controversial) is that I come here to read about what others are saying, what is working for others, and what others are doing to rake in the $$$ from their sites. So often, I click on the good ol' homepage icon in a post to go visit a member's site to see what they are on about - to be bombarded by pop-ups/unders, and well, a heck of a lot of ppc links, noise and crud, and a disapointing visit. Well, I hope I have not been to insulting there - I am not tarring every person with the same brush.

Love and peace to all
Old 02-20-2002, 07:35 AM   #30
starluck

I've always enjoyed visiting Geektalk and still try to take a few minutes everyday to read through the forums.

My reason for not posting too often any more is I just don't have time anymore since I've migrated over to a mostly e-commerce site. I believe some other geek members who have also gone the same route find themselves equally strapped for time.

It's been well worth the effort, but the workload has gone from a few hours a week for one person to enough to keep 3 people busy fulltime. Oddly enough updating the website is one of the lowest priorities now. Things like customer service, getting orders out the door, plus all the red tape most businesses go through take priority now.

GV is the best and is the only forum of any kind I even visit.