Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2002, 01:36 AM   #1
ziggyziggy

Default make money w/o spending any

anyone know of any ways to make money online besides selling products or getting paid to place ads?? this would imply that something which can be dont with no startup cost or very little of it.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:42 AM   #2
Scuba

Ooooo,
I have a answer on the tip of my mouth.......
Old 01-31-2002, 01:46 AM   #3
Guava

Default Re: make money w/o spending any

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggyziggy
anyone know of any ways to make money online besides selling products or getting paid to place ads?? this would imply that something which can be dont with no startup cost or very little of it.
A web-page on a free host with a big button that says Donate is all I can think off.

People aren't going to give you money for nothing. You must provide something, whether it be a quality good, service, or information.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:50 AM   #4
carmine

iwon.com
Old 01-31-2002, 03:49 AM   #5
Edwin

Ok, I guess the key is the "little or no MONEY" part...

If you're willing to work hard, it's still possible to make money on the Web while spending very little money. If you can spend *something*, you will be making your life MUCH easier!

I would recommend budgeting $10 a month in order to host your site somewhere "professional" and have your own domain name - both of which are almost *essential* criteria for establishing your credibility these days.

With your own domain name, and a site on a paid hosting service, all you now need to do is find your niche...

Determine where your expertise and knowledge lie and build a site that focuses on this. Then make sure you add a sprinkling of VERY TARGETED affiliate links and you should start to make some money, slowly at first but gradually more and more as you build traffic.

A few additional tips:-

A) If you're not willing to put in the EFFORT, then quite frankly forget it! The web is no longer the get-rich-quick medium it was in mid-1999

B) Don't waste your energy building a site in a category that has no commercial prospects beyond piling millions of eyeballs into very low-paying ads (e.g. humor sites, fun stuff sites, etc.). Instead, focus on a niche that already has commercial possibilities.

C) If you are going to build your "business" on the hard work and effort of others, then again I can't say it enough: You can forget it! By this I mean don't plan a site around copyright infringements such as celebrity sites, (most) fan sites, MP3 link sites and the like.

D) Goes with C) really, but PRODUCE YOUR OWN CONTENT! Sure, there are sites that will let you use their content in return for just a link back, but the material they offer is already over-used, and as a newcomer you're not going to get the traffic - or the exposure - to make any money from it

E) Set your expectations at a REALISTIC level! You're most likely not going to be making $100 a week after a month of building your new site (though it's certainly not impossible!)... at the same time, don't see $130 a month from a site that takes 20 hours a week to maintain as "success"

F) Whenever possible, always choose quality over quantity. If you can build a site to appeal to 10,000 generic surfers, with no particular focus, you'll almost always be able to make more actual $ off a very tightly focused site that attracts just 100 people who are all *keenly and actively interested in the topic*

G) Finally, "FREE" should be banished from your vocabulary! Don't build a site around offering something FREE, build a site around educating (and entertaining, but not *exclusively* entertaining!) your visitors, on a theme that is compatible with getting them to pay money for something.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2002, 08:37 AM   #6
david11982

Those are all very good tips Edwin (although I think it's alright to offer something for free in certain situations, even you have that free email thingy in your sig). But anyway ziggyziggy, you should definately get your own domain name, and build a site about something that you enjoy and you feel you have an expertise in. If you want your site to make money you need to be able to stick with it for a long time, and the only way you will do that is if you really care about it's content.