Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2000, 03:16 PM   #1
ReadTheGR

Question Sharing Web Design with Muliple Remote Users

Hello,
I've been doing web design for my company by myself for the last 6 months. We are now hiring outside support for faster web growth. I need to give a non-company person access to web pages for updates, etc. but don't want to give out the password to our site.
I'm looking for suggestions -- my first thought was to use the virtual type hard-drives like x-drive.com or i-drive.com, but they don't seem to work for web pages. Thanks for your ideas.
ReadTheGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2000, 02:29 AM   #2
WebsiteSponsors
Member.

Unhappy

Not quite sure what you are trying to explain but I will give it a shot http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

How about getting an account with a free hosting company like Xoom, Tripod, or Angelfire and sharing the account with each other?

Hope that makes at least a little bit of sense http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif
WebsiteSponsors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2000, 02:34 AM   #3
Arn

Unhappy

Hmm... you might need to flesh out a few more details regarding how your site is setup in order to get a good solution...

Here are some thoughts...

If you have control of the server, simply create an account and give them only access to those web files. If you don't want him to access more than just a small subset of files- you can move those to a seperate directory and give access to only those. A lot depends on what OS you're running and how much control you have.

If they only need to update a small text portion of a page, then you can use .shtml files to include those files dynamically. That way, they can simply update the file they need to with no problems with overwriting older versions.

arn

------------------
http://www.weeno.com - Learn Stuff You Don't Know
Promote Your Site - write an article, get new/interested visitors.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2000, 02:39 AM   #4
MagicMan

Unhappy

If you have a server that allows individual FTP accounts you can do this pretty easily. Place the directories that will be updated or maintained from outside individuals in this account's directory. Set it to secured, give them a password that you control, as some servers allow user to change passwords. This protects your company and will allow them access to only those directories. They then upload via ftp.

HTH,
Les
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2000, 04:37 AM   #5
WildComputer

Unhappy

Another problem is what happens if two people edit the file at the same time. Peoples changes get lost.

If using UNIX use RCS or SCCS or similar source code control system, and give them a telnet account which only gives them limited to access (i.e. they can access files etc).

Both sides need to be disciplined enough to check out files they are working on, and check them in later for this to work

------------------
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2000, 12:15 PM   #6
ReadTheGR

Smile

Thanks for your replies. What I ended up doing, I think most resembles Arn's suggestion. Since the people working for us on the site are relatively young and "new" (less costly also) I wanted to keep it simple. I set up a new domain and downloaded subwebs for each person to work on. Each person is working on different pages in different subwebs. They tell me when they are done and I copy the pages or parts of pages back into the site. This seems to work so far.

Thanks, Glenn Rosenblatt
ReadTheGR is offline   Reply With Quote