Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2002, 01:40 PM   #1

Lightbulb Google does not display pop-up advertising. Here's why.

Are pop-up ads allowed on Google?

Google does not allow pop-up ads of any kind on our site. We find them annoying. So why do they occasionally appear when you search on Google? Here are a few possible explanations:

http://www.google.com/help/nopopupads.html
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 02:59 PM   #2
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Google is going to "not annoy" the surfer right up until the point that they close up shop.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:17 PM   #3
Lawrence1

There is a representative from Google who posted the following on another forum five days ago:

Quote:
Hey, webmasters on this board know that Google practically never announces anything in advance. But I wanted to give everyone here a heads-up about something that we're going to do, because this is an issue that concerns you too and we wanted to ask for help.
You probably have heard of "scumware" programs. They are programs that get installed when you download programs like BearShare and AudioGalaxy. Sometimes these scuzzy programs just spy on users and report where they go. The worst programs actually target users with pop-ups. They appear at random intervals, or target users based on what they type on any website.

Most of you already know this, and I know that lots of you despise these scumware products. Jim over at SEF actually started www.scumware.com to combat this junk. The most persistent question that we get at Google is "When did you guys start showing pop-ups?" It's really discouraging because we *don't* show pop-ups and never intend to. We work hard to make Google a useful, fast site for users, and I hate that other companies are abusing our reputation for their own profit. A lot of these scumware products target your websites all over the net, too.

Sometime in the next few days, I think we're going to put a promo line on our home page. It will say something like "Google does not show pop-up advertising. Here's why" with a link to a background page. It will explain our position against pop-up ads, tell how to uninstall scumware, and mention how to complain to the FTC.

So why am I telling you about this in advance? Basically, we're on the same side against scumware, and it would help if other websites took action too. If you dislike scumware that highlights links on your site without your permission, or triggers pop-ups, please help us out. Put anti-scumware messages on your pages, or write the FTC, or just spread the word about scumware. I'd also be curious if you have other suggestions for stamping out scumware.

thanks in advance for anyone willing to help,
GoogleGuy
Lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 03:31 PM   #4
Robert from SI

It's nice of them to equate pop-ups with scumware.

I guess they'd better not link to Hotmail, ESPN, MSNBC, SportsIllustrated, CNN or any other site that uses evil pop ups.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:48 PM   #5
ws2002

Yep, or stop licensing their technology to Yahoo( who uses popups). In a year I bet Google will be 50% PPC sponsored listings.
ws2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 03:53 PM   #6
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

I commend Google for their commitment to being pop-up free. I'm not fond of being exposed to in-your-face advertising. When uproar.com started doing it I stopped going to their site. And uproar isn't the only web site I've stopped frequenting because of aggressive advertising techniques. In fact my web surfing has become much more selective since the advent of pop-ups.

GV is one of the few places I regularly visit that has pops (okay, so it's a drop-down...quibble-quibble) and that's only because there's such great content here and there's only one per session.

I don't think my reaction is atypical of many surfers. I tried pop-ups for a while on my sites but visitors reacted badly to them so I removed them.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:47 PM   #7
PageUp

Quote:
It's nice of them to equate pop-ups with scumware.

I guess they'd better not link to Hotmail, ESPN, MSNBC, SportsIllustrated, CNN or any other site that uses evil pop ups.
I think, Robert from Standard Internet, that you better read through the post from GoogleGuy again.
You shouldn't slander about those who fight scumwares. One might just think that the company you represent is a scumware too... and that you are trying to defend them.
PageUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 04:53 PM   #8
Robert from SI

I think, PageUp, that you need to reread this line from
Google: "Google does not show pop-up advertising. Here's why" with a link to a background page. It will explain our position against pop-up ads, tell how to uninstall scumware, and mention how to complain to the FTC.

And my line "It's nice of them to equate pop-ups with scumware. "

Equating a pop up window with scumware to the surfer is incorrect (and irresponsible).
Old 01-28-2002, 05:18 PM   #9
dotsplash

I agree with robert.

google needs to distinguish between fair poups based advertising & scumware. both can't be clubbed together.

it's good to appreciate their(google) decision of not using popups but their reasoning is incorrect and not fair to advertisers/publishers/net-media who use popups for clean advertising under the govt regulations.

Last edited by dotsplash; 01-28-2002 at 05:20 PM.
dotsplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:03 PM   #10
rbacal

I'm guessing here, but I think what google is saying (not clearly) is that google doesn't use popups so that any popups that DO appear, seemingly from google, are a result of scumware.

So within that context, popups on that site are a result of scumware.
rbacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 06:18 PM   #11
Robert from SI

rbacal,

I understand what you're saying, but if that is the case Google's spokesperson doesn't know his site very well.

A search on any of the terms listed above brings up those websites, popups and all.

Please keep in mind that I support Google's right to run their website exactly as they see fit. My issue is that they seem to be lumping in popups a little to closely with scumware...
Old 01-28-2002, 10:39 PM   #12
rbacal

Question

Robert (from SI), I think I've gotten a bit lost here. Are you saying that:

a) Google displays popups on their own sites, or
b)Google LISTS sites with popups.

If you are saying the first, then I see your point. I don't recall popups on google but then again, I don't visit them much.
rbacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:51 AM   #13
freakysid

I am a big fan of google. I am sure (not certain) that they are doing just fine financially.

The problem is that pop-unders are being abused. Pop-under's that spawn more and more pop-unders. hidden windows that cannot easily be closed by the surfer. Pop-unders that hang your browser or slow it up increadibly with goodness now what is going on javascript. I think that your general web surfer does kind of equate all this "unfriendly" practice into the one big pot - things such as changing your start page without your permission - or even prompting you to change your start page. Google is catering to the general Jane Blow surfer here and their perceptions of abusive behaviour is what they have to attend to.

Among the big sites that are culprits in overusing pop-unders are those that threw millions into goodness knows where during the boom and are going all stops out to try and **** in some revenue. I don't think google is in this class.

We are seeing some despirate last gasps amongst some of the larger sites - particuarly those free service providers that are stuggling to survive in areas such as free hosting and even free redirection (the area I am into).

Just looking into the financials of some of these players - such as fortunecity.com makes the mind boggle. Even when you discount the fact that they have sunk millions into their business, the fact that they still burn so much money just carrying on business with revenues that don't even cover the cost of sales is bewildering.

All power to google. I too plan on being part of the "new breed" of viable, sustainable and lean service providers in the post-dot-bomb era (althoug admittidly not in the same league as google )

hehe - that word starred out is not a "rude" word - but I can understand why it might be a "sensitive" word in an online forum.

Last edited by freakysid; 01-29-2002 at 05:56 AM.
freakysid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 06:02 PM   #14
darnell

Well now you can read all about this in a News.com article

Personally I don't see a problem with pop-ups/unders as long as they are not the kind that attempt to trap the user.

Even before pop-ups were popular, Amazon.com and Netscape.com used to have a window pop-up when you went to their sites to advertise something of theirs.

I say sites need to pay the bills and by all means do not go under because you didn't want to hurt the feelings of someone who is not paying you otherwise.

I sell a CD version of the information on my sites, so users who don't like ads can use the CD and they don't even need to get on-line more/less worry about an ad. The others still getting something for free will have to consume the ads and live with it.

Many sites are trying to make money other ways, but hey it does not always work out so well. Those pop-ups/unders are helping to keep some people employed.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 06:15 PM   #15
darnell

One obvious error in that News.com article:
The article at http://news.com.com/2100-1023-825507.html says
"The company recommended that consumers install pop-up blocking software if they are bothered by the ads."

This is not the case. Google recommends that users run Ad-Aware, which we know does not block pop-ups. It just removes scumware.

Last edited by darnell; 01-29-2002 at 06:16 PM.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote