Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2002, 11:21 AM   #1
aibob

Default Adscholr Optin Spam

I have no idea what site I signed up to receive an optin from AdScholar, but they say I did. However, in the e-mail they sent it was a paragraph advertisement and nothing more. When I tried to remove myself there was an error so I couldn't remove myself. Also the reply to e-mail address does not work.

URL To remove your e-mail: http://www.adscholaroptin.com/cleanlist

Reply-To: From :
"AdScholar Optin" <adscholaroptin@bin.com>
(Adscholar doesn't even own the bin.com domain. I think they chose that domain to refer to trash bin.)

Webmasters and advertisers using beware of this company.
aibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 06:59 PM   #2
WebFanatic

The person who registered the domain http://www.adscholaroptin.com doesnt even know how to spell their own city. (Milwaukee)

All the contact info points to their offices in California except for the actual city and state it is registered under.

Last edited by WebFanatic; 01-23-2002 at 07:00 PM.
WebFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:10 PM   #3
Jan

Administrator

Sorry to drag this out of the dusty basement, but I just received one of these too

Quote:
You are receiving this message as part of the "TARGET" Newsletter you recently joined through AdScholarOptIn or one of its partner sites.
If you feel you have been added to this list in error, or would like to be removed from future mailings, please visit
http://www.adscholaroptin.com/cleanl...ve.html?******
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever been stuck on what gift you should get for a graduating student, daughter, sister, good friend, parent, or someone in the hospital?
Almost every year, at one time or another, everyone has this same problem or, how about your sonís basketball team, trying to raise a few hundred dollars for new uniforms or even a trip?

Jigsawpuzzleworld has the answer to your problem with customized jigsaw puzzles. We will create a puzzle from your favorite artwork or photograph. Our puzzles make wonderful gifts for any occasion including anniversaries, birthdays, graduations, holidays, and weddings.
Customized puzzles also make great promotional items. Send a message to prospective customers on the postcard sized jigsaw puzzles.

Jigsawpuzzleworld works hard to be the kind of company people enjoy dealing with. We value honesty, ethics, helpfulness and courtesy. We carry products that we believe to be of high quality. We pack and ship orders with care and thoughtfulness. All orders processed through <URL> are processed via a secure server; your ordering information is completely safe. You can order with confidence today.

Sincerely,
Jessica Davis
President

Click Here: http://www.adscholaroptin.com/optin/...t.html?******* (ID beared a resemblance to the author of the email)
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:46 PM   #4
Guava

Go to that remove URL that Jan posted and click submit (leave the box blank or just type in garbage) it doesn't error but I goes to
http://www80.nortelnetworks.com/?ULogin=hhhg

Now that's some fishy stuff. I'm adding this domain to the banned list for my e-mail users. None is coming in now. ;-)
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:57 PM   #5
Jan

Administrator

I don't as a rule go to any remove URLs as it is probably going to collect my address for another round of spam. Some I will, if they really look authentic, but this remove address had jdavis*** ID.

Mr Spamcop will take care of it for me
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote