Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2002, 06:29 AM   #1

Arrow DoubleClick posts 4Q profit

NEW YORK - Internet advertising agency DoubleClick Inc. posted an unexpected profit in the fourth quarter, its first profitable period of the year.

The company earned $1.6 million, or 1 cent a share, excluding special items. Analysts surveyed by earnings tracker First Call were looking for a loss of 5 cents a share in the period. The result was up from the $216,000 it earned in the year-earlier period, which worked out to essentially breakeven on a per-share basis.

"Volumes have stabilized, and our cost cutting initiatives are beginning to deliver results to the bottom line," said a statement from Bruce Dalziel, the company's chief financial officer. "We were cash flow positive from operations as well. We have proven that we can manage through a difficult economy and still deliver value to shareholders."

Including special items the company posted a net loss of $64.0 million, or 48 cents a share, but that was an improvement from the loss of $104.8 million, or 85 cents a share, it posted for the year-earlier period.

Revenue of $96.1 million also was far better than the First Call forecast of $88.1 million, and it was also up about 4 percent from third-quarter revenue. But it was still well off of the $132.3 million in revenue the company posted a year earlier.

Salomon Smith Barney analysts Lanny Baker said it was too soon to say that there's been a turnaround in the market for online advertising, but that the stronger than expected revenue number was encouraging.

"It says the patient has a pulse," he said. "I think that they've kind of hit the bottom. You're still down quite a bit year-over-year, but it's a bit better than people would have thought."

Shares of DoubleClick gained as much as 69 cents, or 5 percent, to hit $13.32 in after-hours trading soon after the post-market earnings report, but then lost some of those gains. It was trading at $12.90, up 27 cents, about a half-hour before the company's conference call for analysts Tuesday evening. That was still building on the 28-cent gain in regular-hours trading.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 10:05 AM   #2
zboca

I didn't expect that.
zboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 10:48 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Not bad, but positive pro-forma numbers does not a real profit make.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 10:51 AM   #4
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

>>>>>>
Not bad, but positive pro-forma numbers does not a real profit make.
>>>>>>

Czar, Jeff Bezos is calling for you on line #1.

Old 01-16-2002, 11:01 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Uh oh. I'm in trouble for bursting the dotcom bubble again.

And Jeff thought I'd learned my lesson after he and his buddies chained me up in a Webvan truck in January of last year while they forced me to repeat the mantra "We are the real prophets. Growth is everything. The new economy is here." until I caved into the reality that proven economic fundamentals mean nothing...as long as you get your pretty face on a Time cover every once in a while and keep thhe books blurred enough to maintain the confidence of those recently initiated into the New Wave.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 01-16-2002, 01:40 PM   #6
sbrew

Czar...

Just so you don't think it's just a dotcom bubble bursting, Mr. Lay from Enron on Line 2 for you.

-Scott
sbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 02:16 PM   #7
Czar

Webmaster

Put him straight through...

C: Mr L. Good to hear from you. How are you handling our litttle problem?
KL: Looks like Andersen and we scrubbed up relatively well, considering. I just hope they get out of Dubya's office and don't find the truth about what our 'energy' trading scheme was really...
<click. click.>
C: Did you hear something?
KL: Hmm. May have.
C: You on a landline?
KL: Doh!
C: Yeah, so how 'bout those Mets?

j/k

BTW, looks as though our fellow Geeks are springing to action in ressurrecting any electronic documents that may have been accidentally or incidentally 'disposed' by Enron:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/688648.asp?0si=-
With Google's cache, the Wayback machine, echelon, magic lantern, insecure IM histories, the phone tapping scandal and P2P technologies all in action these days, paper shredders just aren't as effective as they used to be.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV