Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2001, 07:21 PM   #1
darnell

Default More taxing issues for web sites

I hope everyone has checked out this News.com article . Basically the EU would like companies outside the EU to enforce their taxes (to a degree). This is worse than when states here in the USA tried to make it possible to enforce their sales taxes, since it involves other countries...

Basically I think this is a bad idea. What do you folks think?

If the world is going to have taxation on the web, then I'd rather just pay the sales tax rate for my state on every thing I ever sell on my web site. No matter where the customer is. That's simple and easy, since I know the rate for my state. When I have to worry about other state's and countries' rates things get too crazy to manage.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 02:54 AM   #2
rolli
Member.

Thumbs down

I think there should be only one taxe rate for internet business all over the world: none
No matter where I am living I have to pay the taxe rates on my earnings in my country. Why then to pay extra taxes on the web? EU financial policy is like an octopous spreading its arms over everything they can get. They are eager to press out the last Dime wherever they find one. Resist and fight against that pirat policy wherever you find it.
Jonny
rolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:56 AM   #3
Ted S

Dealing with the 7000 plus US tax codes and god knows how many EU codes would be a nightmare.

I dont mind a flat tax on internet sales (when justified). For example, my company is in California but with officers in other states... I know I should be paying tax in those states so a flat tax is great. However, the idea of paying a tax for out of state sales or foreign sales make no sense... mail order companies dont, nor do people who order over the phone.

Not only would paying every state and the eu taxes make no sense according to tax laws but can you imagine writing 50 plus checks a year for taxes. Some would be for a few dollars, others for a lot more... that alone is a nightmare, let alone figuring out the laws.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote