Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2001, 02:37 PM   #1
Jarusa

Question Simulated Signups for Affiliates

I was thinking about how over time many merchants change the signup process for their programs. As an affiliate this can be frustrating due to changes in the monetary returns.

Why isn't it possible for merchants to provide affiliates with a section like a 'simulated signup process', where an affiliate can go through the exact process the consumer has to in order to generate a lead, but not generate a lead.

The signup process is absolutely vital to the quality of a program yet affiliates are sometimes kept in the dark. This is particularly true for merchants that require credit card numbers in the signup process.

This innovation would have numerous benefits including:

1) more transparancy of likely returns from merchant offers.
2) lowering the opportunity for merchant fraud.
3) another way to distinguish merchants of 'quality'.
4) an easy way for merchants to inform affiliates of changes in the signup process.
5) reduction in the instance of 'false' leads created by affiliates testing the merchant signup process.

Do the merchants here see this as a viable option?

What do the webmaster think, would you find it useful?
Jarusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 02:55 PM   #2
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

jamiejulie,

This is an excellent idea.

CellularPhones.com will set this up in our affilaite section asap.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:21 PM   #3
suresk

Yea, I think this is a good idea.

I'm writing some new affiliate software, I'll look at how this idea can be implemented into it as well.
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 05:12 PM   #4
Steve_S

<What do the webmaster think, would you find it useful?>

You bet. Outstanding idea. In many respects similar to the "test mode" for Revecom.com. I'm not sure if ClickBank or Jettis have this feature but if they don't they should
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 05:50 PM   #5
Dave-AHFB

It is always the obvious which is overlooked.

I think you will find many merchants unwilling to do this, as well as third parties coughcjcough. But the better merchants and third parties should jump on this, as it would not only put more money in the affiliates pocket, but it would line the pockets of all parties involved.

I guess we know which category Robert would fall under...good job

Dave
Dave-AHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 01:26 AM   #6
Leader

Thumbs up

That's a great idea!

I hate to say it, but networks probably will balk at implementing this one. I too can hear them already, saying what a nightmare it'd be to implement this for XXXX merchant programs!

Not that it wouldn't be, if they tried to do it from their end.

But a change in the Merchant Terms could make it so each merchant had to implement it on their end and provide a link to it in their profile (the profile affiliates can get to, not some internal info page).
Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 04:39 AM   #7
Jarusa

Cool

Wow, I am blown away by the great feedback

It was just one of those 'gee wouldn't it be nice if they could do this' moments.

I agree that third party networks are much less likely to make this a requirement, but one can only hope.

Quality merchants such as Robert and Suresk are obviously the type who will lead the way. Any merchant that has nothing to hide will see the benefits of this idea.

Even if only a few implement it, hopefully it may go viral with affiliates seeing it here and there and starting to requesting it and merchants over time also seeing it's benefits.
Jarusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 08:14 AM   #8
Robert from SI

This follows in the same vein that I have talked about for years....

When evaluating an ad deal you need to devote attention to all of the facets of the deal, not just the pay rate.

My personal pet peeve is with "traffic leaks." Anything on a webpage that can take the surfer away without buying is a traffic leak. These can be as obvious as a banner ad or as inconspicuous as a traffic counter or a link to an industry organization or a toplist.

When you add up all the traffic leaks is quite possible to lose 10 to 20% of your click thrus to these links. If you're in a CPA deal you need to decide if that penalty is worth it.

I've also found that many merchants are not even aware of some of these factors. Encourage them to put up samples of the page your click thrus will land on. Make sure they keep them updated. Inform them.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:24 PM   #9
Czar

Webmaster

I can only agree with what's been said above, this is a great idea, and one that is sadly lacking from the affiliat scene at present.

Obvously, in addition to identifying traffic leaks, this would provide publishers with the ability to effectively analyze post-pitch aspects of the signup process, such as the length and detail of the form, the complexity of the confirmation process, the limitations based on region, etc...

My hope is that increasingly, those affiliate networks who choose not to establish this type of system will at least take the time to test the signup process themselves, and to report on its effectiveness to affiliates. Network-wide conversion ratios handle this on a formal, statistical level to some extent, but nothing beats personal criticism of the signup process (such as those blurbs/ratings accompanying the announcements of new programs in each of AffiliateFuel's superb newsletters).

Great thinking jamiejulie!

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2001, 12:16 PM   #10
Robert from SI

CellularPhones.com has added this feature from our affilaite site.

You can view the sample signup form here.

We are also introducing our single page form across the network today. It has been working very well with our internal traffic and now all affilaite links point to this page.

Kudos again to JamieJulie for the idea.

Have a safe and happy Christmas all.

Last edited by Robert from SI; 12-24-2001 at 12:25 PM.
Robert from SI is offline   Reply With Quote