Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2001, 02:36 AM   #1
Vrindavan

Default Coupon code and commission to affiliates

Do you know any merchant do not pay affiliate commission if the buyer redeemed a coupon when they shop through an affiliate refer link?
No matter where the buyer got that coupon, including case like the affiliate had not posted that coupon on the affiliate's site.

I suspect there are many merchants have such policy not to pay any commission in case the buyer using a coupon.

The fact that these merchants have such policy PLUS they choose not to tell all their affiliates make me unhappy.

If you know of any merchant,
please share the information.
Vrindavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 01:29 AM   #2
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

I know Amazon.com pays. I ordered two items through my own links, used one of the three $10.00 coupons that they sent to all the affiliets, and I not only got the $10.00 off, but still got the 5% commission.
Old 12-11-2001, 05:51 AM   #3

I know that GiftCertificates.com doesn't pay commissions on sales, if the buyer redeems coupons that were not intended for use on the affiliate web site. GiftCertificates.com has many coupons, of which only a small ammount are for affiliate use (they email you those coupons)
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 02:52 PM   #4
Meowser

Isn't it against Amazon's Affiliate agreement to purchase from your own links?
Meowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 03:19 PM   #5
joma

I think that's correct. The problem is that Amazon sets a 1-day cookie whenever you click through. So it's very easy to be unaware of having given yourself a commission.

Plus, most surfers don't know how to clear out cookies, so even if they wanted to they wouldn't be able to comply -- other than by not placing an order at all.
joma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 03:21 PM   #6
PaulT

Amazon are not likely to notice though, are they...
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 03:31 PM   #7
joma

They might very well notice, if the names or addresses are the same in an order and in the corresponding affiliate agreement. I've never heard of Amazon booting people out for minor infractions, though.

I just checked their site. I can't find it in the FAQ, but in the operating agreement they state: "You may not purchase products during sessions initiated through the links on your site..."

Of course, since they use 24-hour cookies, that leaves a huge loophole in the way the rules are laid out.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:20 PM   #8
Vrindavan

I don't know Amazan set a one day cookie.
Are you sure?
How about other Amazon sites?

I assume we get paid only if the buyer come through directly from affiliate link on the same browser session.

It is hard to get the buyer to purchase high priced item during first visit, such as computer and notebook at Amazon.com.

Other programs to watch:

Bluefly do not pay commission on unauthorised coupon purchase.
OfficeMax ???
Office depot ???
Allink.com ??? I see some coupon sites post their discount coupons, not sure if they are earning affiliate commission or just advertising fee?
Old 12-11-2001, 11:21 PM   #9
joma

It's in the FAQ. You earn a commission on anything added to an Amazon shopping cart within 24 hours, even if it's paid for much later.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:24 AM   #10
Vrindavan

Amazon Terms:

Referral Fees
We will pay you (in accordance with Sections 5 and 8 below) referral fees on certain Product sales to third parties. For a Product sale to be eligible to earn a referral fee, the customer must click-through a Special Link from your site to our site, and add the Product to his or her shopping cart during a session. The session ends upon one of the following events: (a) 24 hours elapses from the customer's initial click-through, (b) the customer orders the Product, or (c) the customer follows a third party's Special Link. We will only pay referral fees on such Products after order, payment and shipping have occurred.

-----------

It is not the same as one day cookie tracking/return day tracking. (pay for all transaction within one day)

A visitor may not choose to add the products to the shopping cart.

He/she can
just add them to wishlist;
bookmark the product page of Amazon.com site and return later;
or choose to do nothing

But if he/she buy anything within 24 hours and bypassing the affiliate link.
the affiliate will not get any commission.
This is what I understand from the terms.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:10 PM   #11
247malls

Default Coupon code and commission to affiliates

OFFICEMAX.COM for example does not pay commission, if a coupon code is used.

Also BLUEFLY.com only pays on authorized coupons.
Same for SPIEGEL.com

If I can think of some more, I will post it.
247malls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 05:47 PM   #12
joma

Vrindavan, what the terms say to me is that the commission WILL be paid for items placed in the cart within 24 hours unless the visitor re-enters through another affiliate's link (which I think is what they mean by a "Special Link"). That's fair enough, because in that case the most recent referrer would get the credit.

I seem to recall reading on Amazon's board that wishlist items are eligible for commissions, but it's based on whether the actual buyer followed an affiliate link, not the person creating the wishlist. I'm not 100% certain of that, but it seems logical.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:42 PM   #13
Vrindavan

Joma
You seems to be right.
But the term is still not very clear on that.

------------------------------------------------------
must click-through a Special Link from your site to our site, and add the Product to his or her shopping cart during a session
------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-12-2001, 11:38 PM   #14
joma

I think the problem is their use of the word "session".

Most people wouldn't call bookmarking a site and returning the next day a single session, but that seems to be the way Amazon defines it.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #15
amily123

Can somebody provide me amazon coupons???
amily123 is offline   Reply With Quote