Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2001, 03:50 AM   #1
FirstMover
Pending Review

Question What do you make per click to your sponsors (as an average)?

I would suggest that per-click profit is one of the most important measures of a site's earning potential. Once you have the per-click equation correct, you can focus on building up traffic, and on getting visitors to click your adverts.

I am currently making around 6c per click on average on a mixture of the popular lead sponsors which I consider just "ok". I heard that most people do around 2c per click on Amazon. I always figure that if I can't make more than I would with Allclicks.com, 3c per click, then something drastically wrong!

If Allclicks can extract greater value from a random, blind, untargetted user and I can't get the same from a fully targetted user, I need to spend some serious thinking hours in the shower.

Anyone else care to share what they make per click and what they make it on?

Last edited by FirstMover; 12-07-2001 at 06:40 PM.
FirstMover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 05:39 AM   #2
wly

I am currently making around 8 cents per click. Mostly from CJ programs.
wly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 06:25 AM   #3
FirstMover
Pending Review

wly,

Would that be mostly Ebay leads on CJ? Or are you promoting some sort of health or financial products?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:50 AM   #4
FC

about 1c per click with advertising.com
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 11:03 AM   #5
FocaJohnL

CPC (cost per click) is yet another advertising measurement, and not necessarily 100% reliable. As such, I don't think it's necessarily better or worse than CPM or CPA, for that matter. The problem is that CPC will not be a clear measure of the success of the advertiser -- it will end up being a mixed measurement, with factors including the effectiveness of the publisher's traffic, the creative, traffic targetting, and the advertiser's ability to close sales on site. (That's for a calculated CPC; obviously, if you get the advertiser to pay CPC, then that last measurement disappears.) As such, some advertising may yield high CPCs for some while yielding incredibly low CPCs for someone else.

Consider, for example, an automotive tip site. A car parts company could probably get some good click throughs from that site, but a record company would have less success. Hence, a car parts company could probably nail a high CPC, but the record company would record a low CPC for the exact same traffic.

You're right in that targetted traffic will be worth more, and let you earn more. Basically, just be careful when you're recording CPCs to note that the rates are tied to the advertisers too, not just your site's traffic.

Just my $.02!
FocaJohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 05:56 PM   #6
FirstMover
Pending Review

(Makes a mental note to check VERY carefully the effective cost per click of Focalex ads. Just kidding. )

Yes John you are correct but my question was aimed at publishers not advertisers. Part of the "value" of a publisher is his/her ability to find sponsors that are well matched with his/her traffic. On this side of the equation, the point you make about differences across sponsors becomes moot.

If I advertise Britney Spears albums on my "Ferrari Accessories" site well then I guess I am not a very clever guy am I?
Old 12-08-2001, 01:29 AM   #7
Paul_S

Default Re: What do you make per click to your sponsors (as an average)?

Quote:
Originally posted by FirstMover

I am currently making around 6c per click on average on a mixture of the popular lead sponsors which I consider just "ok". I heard that most people do around 2c per click on Amazon. I always figure that if I can't make more than I would with Allclicks.com, 3c per click, then something drastically wrong!

If Allclicks can extract greater value from a random, blind, untargetted user and I can't get the same from a fully targetted user, I need to spend some serious thinking hours in the shower.
From my understanding allclicks "real" rate is something closer to 0.5 cents per click after IP filtering, rules about page having to fully load. That was my experience anyway and I've spoken to others who have reported similar stats, so I wouldn't say that it outperforms Amazon.
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 02:23 AM   #8
FirstMover
Pending Review

Default Re: Re: What do you make per click to your sponsors (as an average)?

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_S

From my understanding allclicks "real" rate is something closer to 0.5 cents per click after IP filtering, rules about page having to fully load. That was my experience anyway and I've spoken to others who have reported similar stats, so I wouldn't say that it outperforms Amazon.
Interesting information. Only 0.5c?? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

Not many people responding to this thread. I get the feeling people either misunderstood the question of this topic, don't know how to calculate it or are too afraid to share their statistics to compare against.

Last edited by FirstMover; 12-08-2001 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:53 AM   #9
Knut

FiirstMover:

I'd say 6 cents is very good.

I have one web host affiliate program that I've made up to $2 per click on (effectively after considering recurring revenues) through a newsletter review that filtered out the non-interested by being long ;-)

Other webmaster products I've made 20-30 cents off rather easily.

Only problem with this is that the numbers I just quoted _only_ applies for prequalified traffic and when all comes down to it, I couldn't make a living off either of those alone (personally) because the volume of traffic I personally am able to send to them isn't very high.

I'm mostly focusing on general audience, since this is where I know how to make money, and with this I'm perfectly happy with 2-5 cents per click :-) (Depending on how clickable and interesting the thing is for a "general audience"). If it's very "clickable", two cents per raw click is more than enough for me :-)
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote