Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > StopScum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2001, 03:00 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Thumbs down Orbitz, Comet Cursor wheel-and-deal

In an annnouncement that is sure to tarnish upstart Orbitz' image in the eyes of web publishers and ethical marketers - if not in the minds of the consumers it's targeting - the service has called upon Comet Cursor to deliver its aggressive marketing message to users as they traverse competing websites:
http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/arti...933111,00.html

I didn't even know that Comet had gone down the theftware route until this announcement, and it's tremendously disappointing to see that a service whose software has an installed user base of 10s of millions is embracing such a strategy.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:58 AM   #2
Scuba

One of Comet's features is that we as web masters can select the cursor that will show when the user is surfing our site.

One less "Chainsaw"
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 07:14 AM   #3
Jan

Administrator

That was one little annoyance I never indulged in!

Any site that popped up a comet curser box got closed VERY quick.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 07:26 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Same here.

I've often wished that alongside the "Always trust downloads from this company" (or however it's phrased on the security/save box that pops up when on a Comet site), Microsoft would include an "Always ignore downloads from this company" option to diminish the irritation encountered when surfing Geocities sites and the like.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 10:01 AM   #5
darnell

Well I don't really like the concept, but competitors of Orbitz are not complaining and users will probably like it. So long as they fully explain to users that this feature is there users will probably LOVE IT. All they (users) want is the best deal and if Orbitz can pop-up with a better deal then the users will love this.

I think it all depends on how they implement this. If they fully disclose to users what is going on, then users may really go for it.

And if the users take to it and their main competitors are not complaining, this will be around for a long time.

Let me say again I really don't like the concept, but I don't see it going way if they roll it out well.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote