Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2001, 03:28 AM   #1
Edwin

Default Creating "new" revenue through lateral thinking...

If banners, buttons and popups just aren't paying their way these days, try a little lateral thinking...

The front door to these forums is an excellent example, with the advertising box that drops into view from the top of the page.

Closer to home, I have begun to implement a boxed text ad on my site (see for example http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_auto.htm ) with affiliate campaigns targeted to the theme of each page. It's early days, but the results have been VERY interesting!

The ads are getting from 2% to 32% (that's NOT a typo!) clickthrough rates and are on course to generate close to $800 in December. And that's only for the text boxes I have set up so far - there are plenty of pages still to go.

Benefits:-

A) Because it's text, the boxes add virtually nothing to the load time of the page. Even with the table-inside-a-table layout, it's perhaps an extra 1-1.5KB at most.
B) The ads are relevant, so people are happy to view them and click on them
C) They have turned a marginal proposition (a site that costs $600 a month to host and was generating $400-500 a month in ad revenue) into a nice little money-spinner since it's all ADDITIONAL revenue for no ongoing effort.
D) The click-throughs rates are so high (4x-64x what I was achieving with the best banners and buttons) that in the next iteration I will most likely scrap banners altogether and add one or two more strategically placed text boxes per page - this will drop load times by 30-50%!
E) Apart from the time spent hunting for appropriate affiliate programs, the actual boxes only took a few minutes to implement. And once the first one was up, a little cut-n-paste magic was all that was required to put them everywhere

I was a doubter when it came to text advertising. I'd tried putting affiliate links in various places before, without a great deal of impact. But with the boxes, I've hit on what appears to be a winning tradeoff between making things stand out and making people want to see ads...

In conclusion: never turn your back on trying totally new ways to squeeze money out of your site - you might be VERY pleasantly surprised at the results.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 05:56 AM   #2
LastActionHero

The only reason that stops me from thinking out of the box is what the users will percieve of the new ad format - will it bug them is the main question. For example this ad script from Dynamic Drive (currently down) is an excellent example but since my site is almost entirely forum based (almost like GV) I'm afraid implementing it will have a negative effect on users. (I havent' seen the ads yet on GV so can't say how much they bother me)
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:13 AM   #3
Jan

Administrator

Aha!

Edwin, until LAH posted that link, I had no idea what you were talking about in your post.

Your ad didn't show for me and nor did Steve's new ad.

So you really get a great CTR with that? I must admit I wasn't tempted to click on the one I saw in LAH's link, but as I haven't seen yours, I can't really comment on the popularity yours is achieving.

But if it works, go for it!!!
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:21 AM   #4
LastActionHero

Hi Jan,

Edwin is talking about the text box ad in the middle column of tha page with a column on the side which says "Ad"(in vertical). It's towards the top before the real content starts.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:21 AM   #5
Scuba

Actually learning from GV I started to make Text banners and text + graphic bannets where the Clickble area is in a standard href link.

While standard banners and small sky skrapers from CJ (All very targeted) are getting CTR of about 0.1% the text boxes are getting over 2% CTR. and with a nice convertion ratio.

The best CTR (5%) I get from text links embaded into articles and tutorials I make. I think that this is the true meaning of being an affeliate. Activly promoating a product (and the client Don't really need to know that I am getting 20%)

I am curently "playing" with a new Idea to drive sells from the site.
Basicly making a shop where all products are actualy being sold by affeliats links, only this will be more of a Affeliates Index. Kinda like pricewatch but using my links and being much more targeted at my sites trafic.
Time and Perl/CGI are actually what is stoping me at the moment.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:45 AM   #6
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by LastActionHero
Hi Jan,

Edwin is talking about the text box ad in the middle column of tha page with a column on the side which says "Ad"(in vertical). It's towards the top before the real content starts.
Ohhhhhhh........sheesh I searched the darned page for something that stood out initially so I figured it was something that didn't show in Aus.

I guess I am getting ad blind

Imagine all those clicks we are missing because of all the 'blind' surfers out there
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 07:10 AM   #7
Edwin

Sorry I wasn't more specific!

That's actually why I like my new text ads... they don't stick out enough to be annoying, yet they stick out enough to get 1997-level clickthrough rates (ah, those were the days...)

Slight tangent: The POPUP box on the front page of Emailaddresses.com is not doing much for me, though. It's more of a playful experiment than anything else.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 07:47 AM   #8
pgkooijman

Scuba,

I went with the creating a seperate shop idea with all affiliate links and it works like a charm (wasn't my own idea by-the-way).

Of all the people who visit the content site approx. a 20-35% ends up clicking on a side banners that leads directly to that category of product in the shop. Once they are in the shop, they stick around and once they actually click on an affiliate link they often end up buying that product.

I can still remember two months ago I was running CJ links for various products and ended up earning 0 bucks after 100.000s of impressions. With the seperate shop my CJ.com earnings have shot up and I am now at a $2.16 EPM and $20.77 EPC for this month. I must admit this is mostly caused by one $9000 freak purchase, but even without this freak purchase the trend is still good. I am currently very happy with the seperate shop idea and with it's seperate domain and SE/Directory listings it's even drawing traffic towards my content site. The two sites work together as a great team
pgkooijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 09:11 AM   #9
yevlesh

Steve,

Would you mind sharing your results from the box?
yevlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 10:26 AM   #10
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Question

How do you make that new kind of text 'pop-up' ad? Is an ad script required?
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 12:12 PM   #11
C. Stark

Default Question

Brilliant, I want to try this. Text is known to be more effective than banners, but you seem to have taken it to the next level. I just wanted click on it as soon as I got to your page!

You mentioned you are getting 2% and better CTR. I may not be able to get the same because my average user looks at 15 pages. How many pages are your average sessions and In an average user session, how many times is that ad viewed?
C. Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:02 PM   #12
Scuba

I guess that it's more in the text used.
In my case the banner is giving a personal recomendation of a book I promost Via amazon. I get 2% CTR and a nice convertion ratio.
First thing is to expose the visitor to the fact thay the product is actually exist and do the searching work for him.
Then the personal recomendation with the diferant aproche of text is what make the click diferance.

People are not used to see lot's of text with two small links in the middle. makes them more interested. putting a banner and it's just being ignored.

BTW, my site is a high interest with 7 to 15 page views per visitor.
That is actually making the convertion ratio even higher if you calculate CTR for visitors and not impressions.

About the second stor site,
I want it not to be a store but a Index. Listing product and prices from varius manufacturers and merchents letting the Visitor decide from where to buy.
I am thinking on starting with affeliates links but hope to get merchents directly.
A merchent will pay 25$ to 50$ for a number of products he can promote. This way he will be responcible to update his links, products and prices while I can invest my time in promoating the index and driving trafic in.
I want to give several merchents a free access for some time to make the index more full. But that will require building the stor well from the start with expending thinking.
And that is what actually holding me back. Time to write the scripts as I like.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:13 PM   #13
darnell

Good idea Edwin!
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:08 PM   #14
Steve_S

I likie

1. I'm using the drop-in content box from:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici.../dropinbox.htm

It uses a session cookie (pop once per session) with a 1 to 1 display ratio.

2. Contrary to a post in another thread <cough> the email notify of a post link does not produce this pop. The only way it currently displays is via a Forum link like this:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=48

3. I will be hapopy to share my results at the appropriate time.

4. A sticky site introduces some additional challenges. How high do you wan't to crank up the aggrivation factor? Should you move it around? Should you place a "delay" in the "Close Box" link? How much "heat" can you take?

Good luck to all.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 03:20 PM   #15
cyburrr

Is there any way to delay the pop?

I'd have a higher CTR if I could time it for when folks were already at or near the end of my page.
cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote