Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2001, 08:26 PM   #1
ccole
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Angry CompactBanner - just another bait/switch!

These kinds of things really tick me off. The owner shows up at this board, promises they've been paying $0.25 CPM from the very start and will stay that way. They tracked well, so I used them a little (though not as my main ad, thank goodness!)

NOW, with NO warning at all, nearly every single ad comes with a popup of some sort, and they've gone down to $0.20 CPM. $0.20 CPM for popups AND 468x60 ads. It's just ridiculous. What's more, they even quit tracking the impressions as well as they used to.

Another thing - it seems like nearly all their ads are not from compactbanner anymore, but from advertising.com, CJ, adorigin, etc. The ads aren't even theirs!

Finally, my last month's earning's have amazingly changed from what they should be to $0 for the month. I didn't earn much, and maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but if it's true, that's yet another way they've tried to rip their publishers off.

Last edited by ccole; 12-02-2001 at 08:28 PM.
ccole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 09:00 PM   #2
Taz

if you go to history you will see your earning for past months .. lasts m onths will show audit since they are doing a audit once that is done your numbers will show there always have for me...

second i doubt they use adorgin since adorgin just resales....and is known to be flascky

thrid...they have a pop up and a NON pop up code.. don't want pop ups run the NON pop up code.. and when you run pop ups you get pop up bonuses so you make 20 cents + the pop up bonus for them... once again want no pop ups use the no pop up code\..

yes they did drop their rate that is very sad... ;[
but most companys have they didn't drop it in the same month and who knows might go up to 30 CPM next month those rates been known to change month to month at other places too...

I would suggest however to use better networks if you can get in them...

unfortunely no one else will take be besides banner-mania, compactbanner, and advertwizard
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 09:08 PM   #3
Taz

correction: I did see an adogrin banner just now.. that is weird ussaly they resell what seems to be advertsing.com banners but that was when they had a CPM where you made somehting cpm based on your clickthrus which made it seems like a pay per click...

anyways they might of had to get new inventory based on new ad rates the new flat rates that just happened some time last m onth... and with the new popularity they got when they went to flat rate..

anyone know any good CPM's that will take clubalien.com
fastclick
24/ 7 media
doubleclick
burst
and them will not take me
Old 12-02-2001, 10:16 PM   #4
Taz

grr i just noticed the adorgin code.. runs a doublcick or some other code that has a pop up.. and i was running non pop up compact arg.. i just took them off rotation...

anyone know how i can disbale banner-manias pop ups?

I am only running advertwiard now since i need o ne that doesn'
t use pop ups..
Old 12-02-2001, 10:52 PM   #5
ccole

Have you logged on lately, Taz? My old non-popup code was giving me popups, so I tried to log on and get the old non popup code, and found that all they are giving out now is the popup code (and apparently they made my old non-popup code start giving popups as well).

And as for my last month's payment....it says "Audit" and gives me $0 for 35k completely fair impressions.
Old 12-02-2001, 10:59 PM   #6
Taz

the audit should go away it is normal for compact to have that there then later say what cash is .. annoying though arg....

but this ***** that It has pop ups since the people i run site with refuse to use popups ;[

so i am stuck running advertwizard which doesn't have very many paid ads...

anyone know how to disbale banner-mania.com pop ups so i can start using them again?
Old 12-02-2001, 11:02 PM   #7
Taz

grr logged in and looked at code and hmm yep no non pop up code

just the

Standard 468x60 banner with Pop-Up window [Rate: 0.2 $ CPM]

*** only 20 cents WITH a POP up shown are they crazy
Old 12-02-2001, 11:07 PM   #8
Gracklor

I haven't heard of a way to disable Banner-Mania's popups. So far, I'm don't there *is* a way. I know their TOS says that you can't use your own popups (although I cleared it with them to use Fastclick popunders), the reason being because their 468x60 code will pop popups on occasion.

(40 seconds later)

Uh, scratch the "on occasion" part. I tried checking stats and was hit by 3 or 4 popups in the process. I also went to Fastclick to check the default code and was hit with popups there. Not worth it, IMHO, being faced with a popup and only getting about $0.03 CPM. Another default out of rotation.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 01:28 PM   #9
notibrian

well, maybe i am little confuse, but after surfing for several minutes, i still cant seem to find the stats for the previous month ... where is the "history"? is it the "Payments History"?

by the way, anyone here received any checks from them yet? what is the minimum payment? (can't seem to find it in their terms)
notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:49 AM   #10
notibrian

are the compactbanner stats accurate for you guys/gals? as for my yesterday stats only 3+K impressions for the top banner (compactbanner) whereas my bottom banner (combination of 2 cj and 2 clickxchange banners 50/50) for cj alone is 5+K and thats for only half day ... how about you guys?
Old 01-05-2002, 06:54 PM   #11
maddeningcrowds

clubalian guy: you probably need *at least* professional hosting to be considered for fastclick etc.
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 12:44 PM   #12
emmzee

One reason why Compactbanner's stats would be lower is because they only count US surfers ...
emmzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:25 PM   #13
Furton

I just got a mail from them today saying

Quote:
Dear CompactBanner Publisher,

We have increased CPM rates for all of our publishers. Certain publishers will see a bigger increase than others but everyone will see an increase. Let\'s hope the ad industry is on the way back up. Be sure and locate our banner in the top 1/3rd of your website to increase support of our loyal sponsors. Publishers who use our 468x60 banner displaying Pop-Ups will earn more commissions.

But due to popular demand CompactBanner members have choice to use the HTML code (it is available in members area ) displaying only 468x60 banners without Pop-Up windows. Plese use only one code on a single website.

Any questions should be forwarded to support@compactbanner.com

Sincerely,

The CompactBanner.com Support

Experience the Power of Integrated Advertising Solutions - http://www.CompactBanner.com

Please support our sponsors below:

Visit Videoprofessor.com for a FREE CD-ROM Computer Lesson! Windows XP, Word, Quicken, Excel, Access, & More! http://by.advertising.com/1/c/72597/38708/131008/131008

<a href=\"http://by.advertising.com/1/c/72597/38708/131008/131008\"> AOL users click here </a>
Furton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:03 PM   #14
ccole

I got the same email, and hoping they had finally gotten the hint, I once again sent them some impressions. I checked back today, and I can barely even log in the site is soooo slow!! This includes their banner serving server - none of the banners are being shown. They registered less than a quarter of what I sent them. So once again, I say STAY AWAY!!

Just to add onto their list of cheats - they didn't really raise their rates. It's the same as last month: 20 cent CPM. At least they aren't hiding popups in there now I guess.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:34 AM   #15
notibrian

got the same mail, send them some impressions and have the same experience as ccole ... they are paying less than 10 cents/cpm indeed as they record like only 1/3 of the impressions ... by the way, are adcouncil banners their default?

by the way, their website and banners are loading very very slow.