Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2001, 09:41 PM   #1
nima

Default what cpm are you currently getting from doubleclick.net?

Hello,
I recently was able to join doubleclick.net suprisingly they sent me a contract and so I wanted to know after all of their costs and thigns they have in the contract what is your current NET AVERAGE cpm that you got this month? Would be happy to see some replies
nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 03:59 PM   #2
nima

anyone?
Old 12-02-2001, 01:49 PM   #3
LordBiO

Don't even second guess it, sign the contract and join. Doubleclick by far is the best CPM ad network.

For October the NET Average CPM for me was around $1CPM on ads they sold. If I caculate with the defaults, it would be slightly less.

But for November, they moved me over to the new DART system and I have not been able to log in since moving over. I need to remind myself to email them on Monday and ask them to send me my login info again because I lost all of it when I upgraded to WindowsXP...all my emails got deleted.
LordBiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 03:36 PM   #4
kryton

I applied as well, and have been sent a contract. For
http://www.heavystorm.com/ and all its sites.
Getting around 4,000,000 impressions per month.

I phoned them up and spoke to someone. They said I would get a min $0.70CPM but I must show 2 ads on each page, and filter all non US traffic. Not great, but I'd be happy to except such a low rate at present times.
kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 06:33 PM   #5
nima

so they only count US traffic??!?!? because if they only count that then it wil be really bad! because barely 20-30% of most sites traffic comes from the US which makes the revenue really really low. I hope it is not like that

oh and what about their popups? what net cpm are those at?

Last edited by nima; 12-02-2001 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2001, 07:23 PM   #6
kryton

no they don't only count US traffic, but part of the agreement with me was I should filter as much non US traffic as I can.

I am also based in the UK, and was at first approached by doubleclick UK after I applied, but told them the majority of my traffic was US.

I guess it also depends on your type of site, mine is entertainment, so people from europe who see US based ads are unlikely to buy. But if your site was some kind of buisness or Internet resource site, web surfers from europe would be more likely to buy products from the US. I look at myself as an example, I would buy bandwidth from the US because it is so much cheaper than the UK, but if I wanted to buy a CD or DVD or something I would buy from the UK.

Last edited by kryton; 12-02-2001 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2001, 08:48 PM   #7
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by nima
so they only count US traffic??!?!? because if they only count that then it wil be really bad! because barely 20-30% of most sites traffic comes from the US which makes the revenue really really low. I hope it is not like that

oh and what about their popups? what net cpm are those at?
Many ad networks are requiring that sites have at least 70% US traffic to stay in their network and are dropping publishers who cannot meet this requirement.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 09:32 PM   #8
nima

Actually I have more than 20-30% US traffic because I took a survey from my visitors through a popup and most of the people were from the UK, US, and Germany, but then my rep from advertising.com tells me that only 20% of my whole traffic is from the US which is really nonsense and that most of my traffic comes from China. They have a really bad system of telling from where my traffic is coming from because with the survey I have it certainly shows different. SO does anyone know if doubleclick pays for the popups and if so what cpm?

another thign I forgot. In my contract it says that I have to sell at leats 65% of the banners I serve. IS this something normal and possible??

Last edited by nima; 12-02-2001 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:35 AM   #9
Duchz

Quote:
Originally posted by nima
Actually I have more than 20-30% US traffic because I took a survey from my visitors through a popup .... but then my rep from advertising.com tells me that only 20% of my whole traffic is from the US which is really nonsense
How can a survey be that accurate, so that you can insist on claiming that your traffice comes to x % from XYZ ?
Duchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:00 AM   #10
Edwin

It *might* be because much fewer people from China feel very comfortable reading English and therefore the people responding most readily to the survey are those for whom English is their native language!

While surveys can be used to get a feel for this kind of metric, they're a VERY rough and ready tool... so I wouldn't be too quick to rely on them!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:05 AM   #11
kryton

The overall percentage of US traffic on English speaking Internet sites will decrease for two reasons (I think):

i) The growth of new online users in other countries should be faster than the in US now. It should be saturating by now in the US. Even in the UK almost everyone I know has access to the Internet, and broadband is becoming more and more common.

ii) Lots of people in non-English speaking countries can speak English. And even if they can't they will use things like translate.google.com, looking through my logs the other day, I could see this everywhere.

But who should be dealing with this, web publishers by filtering traffic, or the ad-networks? I believe both, but it would be such a hassle for me to seek advertising from all countries, for a start I can only speak English.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:14 AM   #12
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by kryton
But who should be dealing with this, web publishers by filtering traffic, or the ad-networks? I believe both, but it would be such a hassle for me to seek advertising from all countries, for a start I can only speak English.
Until advertising evolves, the only traffic most ad networks are interested in is English speaking consumers. For example, General Motors has a first time buyers program for college grads - it's pointless for their ads to be seen by web surfers in Asia since the program is not valid in Asia.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 11:20 AM   #13
kryton

Nima:- In reply to how much for popups. I was told doubleclick will charge a min of $1.50CPM for 468x60 ads, and $3.50 for pop-ups. Seems to me, they are dropping their rates and taking on publishers they would have never taken on before, such as me.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:03 PM   #14
vays

Default ip2country software

I think that Jonathon Roy who is the owner of www.ip2country.com and member of this board will reply to this thread soon.

I'm not affiliated with his company but I think the easiest way to target ads to specific country is to use their database.
vays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:54 PM   #15
FocaJohnL

The most common method of determining country breakouts has to be an IP analysis, where you map IPs back to country. Naturally, anyone doing this has to be aware that 1) that can take up too much time, depending on traffic; and 2) IP databases are in constant flux, meaning that you should make sure your data sets are datestamped as well. While not 100% reliable, it's pretty accurate for most intents and purposes. There are different methods to do this, just do some searches and you'll come up with some vendors / solutions.
FocaJohnL is offline   Reply With Quote