Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2001, 01:32 PM   #1
LastActionHero

Default Good CPM networks still exist?

I just launched WBBHacks.com on the 27th. These are the stats for the past 2 days

Total Hits 59798
Total Files 35102
Total Pages 19695
Total Visits 603
Total Unique Sites 519

Is this traffic good enough for CPM? What other kinds of ads can do well on my website? 123 members have registered in the past 2 days. I'm expecting the traffic to grow.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 08:28 PM   #2
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

No. CPM died many moons ago. I get a total of around 1,500,000 hits a month and I was never even accepted in to doubleclick. The real $$$ maker now is leads and sales.
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 12:22 AM   #3
LastActionHero

I was hoping there would be some CPM network which is still doing good. I feel that I can earn a few dollars from CPM campaings. The problem with lead based programs is that I can't decide what kind of programs will appeal to my site audience.

I'm confused
Old 11-30-2001, 01:50 AM   #4
Gracklor

Figuring out what my visitors want is my problem. :-) I'm in the process of running a few surveys to pin down the demographics.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 01:50 AM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Try FastClick or BURST!Media. They're still doing relatively well (the former moreso), and continue to accept small sites with niche audiences.

Other than that, 24/7 Real's ContentZone, FocusIN and BannerSpace remain worthy of an application - but you'll need to have a backup network in place with these three.

Once your property gains in size, scope and popularity, then your options increase, but those networks listed above remain the only (relatively) reliable CPM-based ad reps for small sites.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 07:16 AM   #6
Lil_Red

I would not recommend Bannerspace or FocusIn. Bannerspace has never paid us for campaigns run last spring. FocusIn has not paid anything since last spring either. It may improve under the new company, it may not but I would use extreme caution before sending them any traffic.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 10:54 AM   #7
Gracklor

Thumbs up

Definitely try Fastclick. I've been seeing increasing revenues from them at a time when so many other companies are having trouble. (And my site is even a humor site.)

I haven't been paid by bannerspace, either. As soon as I find another default, I'll probably switch away from them.
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 11:12 AM   #8
LordBiO

Not many ad networks out there left, I would recommend trying 24/7 Real Media, Doubleclick and FastClick (though the first 2 would require getting more traffic).

My site (which is a network) gets around 10,000,000 million impressions a month, and I don't have that options even with that kind of traffic. My total CPM in hand around $.20-$.25.

But I have tried a few other things to try to generate revenue from affiliating with Amazon.com where I sold $3500 worth of music cds and dvds (which are not high priced so a low commision for each item I sell, so I only took home like $200 this month from amazon).

Also I launched a premium membership program for $3 a month on my forums and that been somewhat of a flop with only 25 members so far in about 2 months out of the 23000 members I have...but I guess $75 a month is better then nothing.

I don't what else to do to make money, next thing I am working on is generating an email mailling list with OPT-IN subscribers and also CPM ads within the daily email that I will send out to people.

I know it was a little bit more then you wanted, but I hope it helps
LordBiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 11:56 AM   #9
LastActionHero

Fastclick seems like a good option. I'll apply to them. What is average CPM at fastclick? and what does net CPM mean? I keep hearing my net cpm is this and that and until now i didn't care what net cpm meant.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:25 PM   #10
Czar

Webmaster

Net CPM refers to the rate that you receive after the ad network has taken their cut.

You'll also occasionally hear the term 'net effective CPM' or simply 'effective CPM' used around here. The practical meaning of that is the same (ie the amount of money that you receive per 1000 impressions delivered), but these often refer to CPC/CPA or CPS programs. Without trying to further confuse the matter, then, if an affiliate is receiving 10 cents/click with a particular network at a 1% click-thru-ratio, their net effective CPM is $1 (0.10x0.01x1000).

The average net CPM received by most FastClick members on banners alone generally seems to be in the vicinity of $0.30-$0.50. Of course, since you may manage multiple defaults and deselect those campaigns to which your visitors don't often respond, and since FastClick targets ads to some degree, your mileage may vary.

And yes, I probably shouldn't have mentioned BannerSpace and FocusIN, but there simply aren't many options available to smaller publishers who ardently desire CPM-based support, I thought I'd toss them into the hat in the hope that their respective services improve.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 09:26 AM   #11
Furton

Try adtegrity.com great company always pay on time with a NET CPM for me at $0.38
Furton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:08 AM   #12
LastActionHero

Thank you everyone, I was rejected by fastclick.com, waiting for a reply from Burst Media, Adtegrity requires minimum of 250,000 page views although my projected page views is much greater than that I will apply to them later.

Any other networks apart from the ones mentioned above?

Thank You.
Old 12-03-2001, 12:12 PM   #13
Furton

Actually, adtegrity.com require 500,000 impressions and are pretty strict on this.
Furton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:37 PM   #14
LastActionHero

Quote:
Originally posted by Furton
Actually, adtegrity.com require 500,000 impressions and are pretty strict on this.
Their publisher's FAQ says 250,000 whereas their front page says 500,000. Anyways they are out of question for me since they say the website must have 90%+ US demographics.