Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2001, 08:42 PM   #1
Edwin

Default What's wrong with this picture?

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have not tried advertising this program because of the problem outlined below so I have no idea what kind of performance it offers. This is NOT a complaint about the vendor!

The affiliate program for Roving Web (mailing list management) is offered through Commission Junction. They pay $25 per sale and $1 per lead (person who signs up for a free trial).

Now the big problem: The free trial is for *60* days but their cookie duration is set to *45* days! I don't think I need to say any more than that...

I'd be interested in hearing from other people who have found affiliate programs with a similar oxymoronic setup. I'm sure there must be lots of them out there...
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 09:01 PM   #2
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Hmm.. I believe CJ's default cookie duration is 45 days. It is possible the people who run this program neglected to consider the cookie duration when setting up this program (or were misinformed in how cookies operated).
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:22 PM   #3
WildComputer

It is possible that you might still get credit for the sales, maybe.

It all depends on their integration with CJ, and how it's done (there are several different ways to integrate)

For example, they might record the lead, and batch in the sales separately.

I am not saying that they do this, and I'm not saying that they don't - but's at least possible that they might

I'd suggest you contact the merchant directly, via email or phone (not CJ's messaging system) to find out

And if they don't respond, that in itself gives you a hint about whether it's a program that you want to get involved in, regardless of any possible tracking issues.
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 01:38 AM   #4
mattm

I know some people at that company... appearently, HitBox.com which is linking to Roving from their frontpage is nothing but a participant in their affiliate program.
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 04:15 AM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

<Please excuse the slightly off topic remark>

mattm = Welcome back Mr. Mickiewicz
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote