Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Web publishing business discussion > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2001, 09:00 AM   #1
wly

Default Can I open a U.S. bank account online?

Anyone know of any U.S. banks that allow foreigners to open a dollar account online? I plan to use this for CJ direct deposit. What are the procedures and documents required if possible.
wly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:41 AM   #2
jpoc

Default etrade

etrade will allow you to do this.

You will need to complete some paperwork and post it in but you can do most of it on line.

The paperwork that you need to complete is to prove that you are not liable to US taxes and to allow the bank to inform your own country of the income so that you can be taxed. (This only applies if your country has a bilateral agreement with the US for this purpose.) You will face this with any US online bank if you are not a US resident.

There are a couple of snags of which you should be aware.

Unless you keep a certain balance, you will be hit for bank charges.

You may need to make some kind of deposit into the account in order to open it if your first CJ direct deposit is not both substantial and due real soon now.

jpoc
jpoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 04:57 PM   #3
Simone

Chase.com

is another bank opening accounts for non US resident but with high minimum deposit

Last edited by Simone; 11-27-2001 at 04:57 PM.
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 06:49 AM   #4
trabaho

Smile Check out Citibank!

Hi Wly we come from the same country, also wanted to open an account online but found it complicated. They were asking me for a Tax payers Identification number, you can apply one in irs.gov but the hardest part was a US mailing address. If you can get those two requirement then its all about choosing the right bank. But I guess the easiest would be is to go to citibank in makati and tell them you need a US bank account, minimum is high around $1000( not sure could be higher now), they will do all the work.
trabaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 05:22 AM   #5
wly

Thanks guys for the info!

Trabaho,
I called Citibank today and guess what the mininum for US Bank account is $50,000. That's unbelievable.

I am looking at eTrade but I need more info regarding them, I know they are a stock brokerage firm but didn't they are now also a bank. Some questions I got:

a) Who owns eTrade?
b) Are they a strong bank?
c) Is eTrade making money?
d) Do they operate a real bank or only online? What are the risks doing banking with them compared to a more traditional bank like Chase or Citibank.

Thanks and hope you guys can fill me in.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:07 PM   #6
Vrindavan

Hello

I am interested to know what are the benefits to have a US bank account.

I cannot think of any good reason to have one
for non-US based affiliates.

And it may not be easy to withdraw cash from the US account, right?

Please enlighten me.
Vrindavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 10:12 PM   #7
trabaho

Thumbs up Internet Banking

Imaging getting the money you've earned from an ATM machine that you can use all over the world, another would be if your from a country that Paypal does not support yet you can verify your account with your US account.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:41 PM   #8
wly

Thumbs up

Just to add what trabaho mentioned.
Actually I am planning to use this for my CJ Account. Imagine having a U.S. bank account then direct deposit your CJ earnings and withdraw it from your local ATM. You do not need to worry about check being lost(probability is small, happened to me only once). But the best thing I like about this is the privacy because when I go to my local bank, I need to go through the process of changing checks and not deposit directly to the teller. So sometimes people are curious about you making this $$$.

Anyway, I am now looking at Chase but why can't we access our accounts online. Just like what trabaho said, Chase requires a U.S. SSN or TIN in order to have online banking. So how can I check my balance?? Do I have to wait for my monthly statement to be mailed? And can I apply for a U.S. SSN or TIN online? Is that possible?
Old 11-29-2001, 10:49 PM   #9
trabaho

Default check out Gomez for Reviews

First Internet Bank of Indiana looks really promising coz of the low maintaning balance ($100) but you should check out gomez .com for reviews and check under internet transactor.
I've emailed them about the requirments and they told me to fill out this IRS form and have it noterized in with your nearest US consul or lawyer. hope than helps.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:30 PM   #10
Vrindavan

1. I would like to know if someone are using this method to receive money yet. Is it less costly and good?

2. We have to make sure withdraw cash overseas using US bank card. If there is hidden fee?
Per withdrawal fixed charge?
favorable currency conversion rate?

3. For Paypal problem, it is good to have a US issue credit card for non-US citizen. The US bank account is use for send monthly bill payment to the US credit card only. Do you think so?

Not many programs use direct deposit.
CJ is one. Linkshare and Befree are not.
I am still getting lots of checks.

Check missing and check writing problems happen to me very often, time consuming!

>>people are curious about you making this $$$.
I am not sure if this income is taxable in your country tax law.
May not be a big deal if I am not making lots of money for people to have curiosity.

Have to ensure that the income deposit to the US bank account is not subject to US tax. Including bank interest.
But I don't know what have to do?

Having a U.S. SSN or TIN means you have to pay US tax.
I think??
Vrindavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 03:40 AM   #11
freakysid

When I read a similar thread to this at another forum a while ago, I remember another Australian mentioning TD Waterhouse, I believe the url is www.tdwaterhouse.com
freakysid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:26 PM   #12
ceo

Arrow A better Option !

I guess you can try www.intercash.com if you're with one NM company, that they associate with.

It's very cheap as compared to those mentioned above.
I'm not with them but have only heard good things.
Let me know if any of you sign up. Jim Byrne heads operations there.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 04:54 PM   #13
Pink Floyd Fan

I've been following this thread closely, as I'd like to get a bank account in the US as well for dealing with checks from my ad agency and affiliates, so I can withdraw that money from an ATM machine in Brazil and so on...

I visited InterCash, and although their web site was really poor in information, it seems interesting. Now what is that "NM company" you mentioned? I noticed they say on the site that "The InterCash Pay Card is reserved for members of Direct Sales Companies" and that we "must apply through your Company". Any more information on that?

Thanks a lot,
Paulo
Pink Floyd Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:06 AM   #14
cashaday

Even i also following this thread closely, as I'd like to get a bank account in the US as well for dealing with checks from my ad agency and affiliates, so I can withdraw that money from an ATM machine in India.

I know like us many members are following this thread closely and please if anybody have more information on this topic please post it here so all members will get benefit on this.

Thanks
cashaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 05:15 AM   #15
wly

Hey guys,

I just sent my application to Chase. I'll let you guys know if all the expenses that I incurred from these are worth it, not to mention the time and effort going to the embassy and other errands. Anyway I'll report back maybe a month or 2 from now.