Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2000, 10:32 AM   #1
Even Steven

Post Help with Advertising.com code

I got the e-mail that Advertising.com changed their banner code. I plan to implement it, BUT...

They say to insert a random number into the code for each page. I have nearly 3,000 pages! Under the old code, where you had to insert a random name, I had placed it on every page, and it took about 3 months to assign all those random names.

Is there anyway I can do the new code in an automated fashion?

I was thinking of inserting the same code into every page by putting it into a Dreamweaver Template. But then I'd need some kind of utility that can do a Find and Replace but replace with a random number. Does anything like that exist?

How about saving the banner code as a javascript file on the server, and each page would place a call to it, similar to like an SSI. But that code would have to include a random number generator.

I called Advertising.com and they didn't have any suggestions right off the top. "We'll check into it, and call you back".

Steven
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2000, 01:41 PM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

yeah i had a similar problem for my site theprequels.net which is now using Advertising.com's new code on some of my 600+ html pages.

I don't have a easy answer... what i did was check out my stats and logs and find out which of my site's pages get the most visitors and page hits. Then i did those pages first (around 20 - 60 pages i think it was) the random code i just went from "00000001" to "00000060" for thr 60 pages... the other pages I will slowly change over.

Anyway i am thinking of redesigning my site anyway...

By any chance do you know what happens to referral clicks etc when you migrate from Teknosurf to the new Advertising.com code ? what happens to the existing money earned and referral stats that the old log in reporting area had ?

I make considerable amount (around 2 - 10 times more on referral clicks than from my own) ... I am in Australia and I had emailed them but no reply.....

------------------
Evangelion in the 21st century
Eva2000.com
Australian Star Wars Prequels
ThePrequels.net
Anime2001 Network
Anime2001.com
Coming soon
TheDesktopThemes.com
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2000, 04:36 PM   #3
Even Steven

Thumbs up

A support guy at Advertising.com called me back and said they created a banner code for me that will generate random numbers. He e-mailed the code to me.

I believe the code has my site id embedded into it, or some kind of number that uniquely identifies my site.

That's cool that they listened to me, and gave me a solution. Now I just need to put in place and see if it works!

Steven
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2000, 05:20 PM   #4
singloon

GeekGuide

Unhappy

that's great, did he by any chance say that the basics of the code will be made available to all Adserve network members ?

It would save me considerable time on the rest of my site as well.

------------------
Evangelion in the 21st century
Eva2000.com
Australian Star Wars Prequels
ThePrequels.net
Anime2001 Network
Anime2001.com
Coming soon
TheDesktopThemes.com
singloon is offline   Reply With Quote