Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2001, 12:28 AM   #1
Nintendo
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool Holiday Shopping, when does it start on-line?

Does any one know about when the holiday shopping starts geting big on-line? Just woundering because I just got an Amazon.com shock of 73 items being ordered through my links, in one day, on November 8th. Before that my record was 20 items being ordered in one day.

The only other things I can think of that might of increased the sales was adding a few thousand lisings in a few PPC search engines, and the domain finally being listed in altavista.com, but those have only increased the number of unique visitors by about 80 a day, to ordervideogames.com, and I get around 4,000 uniques a day counting my content sites, and the last amazon.com change on those was on the 16th of October, when I added the Recommends links.

BTW, the Recommends links are great!!! On the day I got 73 items ordered, all but seven items were ordered through the Recommends links, even though Individual Item links got 1,139 clicks, and the Recommends links got just 975 clicks.

Any other tips for increasing sales besides PPC search engines and Recommends links?
Nintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 12:52 AM   #2
JJJay

Congrats on your success Nintendo, what type of items did you sell and what was the average earnings per sale?
JJJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 09:33 AM   #3
Nintendo

Cool

Mostly video games. But some people are also buying books, and toys. Making about $2.00-$3.00 per item for video games, more for systems. Of course toys and books make less than that per item.

Just woundering if internet holiday shopping allready started, or if it's expected to go way up even more after Thanksgiving and in December.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:49 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

Nintendo, the trends that have I've witnessed after having administered several Christmas-related sites during the past two years is that early-mid November seems to be when the bulk of consumer-oriented holiday spending occurs online.

I'm not suggesting that you'll see a dramatic drop-off in sales (particularly given the huge demand for pre-orders and actual orders of systems and games related to the XBox, GameCube and PS2 - not to mention the upcoming movie-based licenses that are sure to get a boost from the summer blockbuster season). Nevertheless, you will most likely see sales start to gradually taper away towards the end of this month.

Here's hoping that you are able to sustain results as promising as Nov 8th for as long as possible, though.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 11:53 AM   #5
madaweb

Hi
I too have opened a Christmas related site recently, while researching past trends everything I read seems to say that the big holiday push is from the last week in November and the first two weeks of December.
madaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 12:09 PM   #6
david11982

I think this holiday shopping season is going to be especially big for videogames, which is Nintendo's specialty. With Playstation 2 seeing it's first Christmas where it is readily available, and XBox and Gamecube coming out within a few days of each other, videogame-related sales should reach an all-time high this season. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the release of Metal Gear Solid 2 for PS2, I've already had some people pre-order that (that's right, I've actually sold something on Amazon, it's about time!). And I would bet Game Boy Advance will see some decent sales, along with those Harry Potter games coming out for it. I would not be surprised to see you break the 100 mark in daily sales, Nintendo. Congrats
david11982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 04:03 PM   #7
wly

100 daily sales = $200/day. WOw awesome dude!
wly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 07:45 PM   #8
Nintendo

Cool

June was my major month for the Game Boy Advance. I just wish they had the Game Cube on pre-order for more than four minutes (the ammount of time the first pre-order lasted.) A lot of my current orders in video games are for Game Cube games and accesseries. Just in the last month or so did I really get into the non-Nintendo stuff.

:::100 daily sales = $200/day. WOw

Yes, it shocked me BIG time. Last quarter I made just $367.52.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:00 PM   #9
Taz

I would just like to say congratulations to NIN and can i borrow some of your luck. I plan on selling DVDs, VHSs, books, and other materal related to the paranormal for clubalien.com through amazon, cj.com, and allposters however i don't think i will even make one sale ;[
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 07:38 PM   #10
Nintendo

Cool

:::it is going to take a lot for the average shopper to 'get in the mood'

Not according to the news. Last month had the highest sale increase in history, thanks to the interest rates crashing. If people can buy 87.4 billion dollars worth of cars, then I think they can do just as much Christmas shoping as last year, if not more.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/nm/20...r_graphic.html