Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2001, 02:39 PM   #1
pgkooijman

Question When to start with advertising, if ever

Hi,

My main hobby site, The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Site, recently got yahoo-ed on number 8 for my main keywords. This together with the growth rate of last months has taken me to the 1200-1500 unique visitors I get on both sites. These visitors do visit about 20-25 pages in each session.

Are these the right figures to start thinking about offering advertising space? I have been advised to only link to my LotR shop (as I explain in more detail in the webmaster issues board). My hosting costs are still rising as I have about 20 GB/transfer/month this figure is nearly doubling every 6 weeks. I need some steady income. Should I start putting banners and pop ups up? I would hate to ruin the nice layout and look of my site but I also have to earn money to keep my sites in the air.....

Any advice?
pgkooijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 03:37 PM   #2
PaulT

I am surprised you arn't running any ads yet

Visitors arn't going to mind 1 pop-up / under a session, 2 468x60s (one at the top and one at the bottom) and a couple of buttoms (120x60) at all. Most sites run with this amount of advertising nowadays.

Your best bet for ad-networks is to check out www.net-ads.com (run by forum moderator Czar) as there is some excellent info about ad networks on that site.

I would also recommend linking to your store in the mean time while you wait to be accepted by any ad-networks (this will depend on your site's content and visitors).

LOTR is a book? or are you supporting the up-coming game?
If it's the book you are supporting (sorry, havent had a good chance to look at your site yet) I would highly recommend using the Amazon.com associates program.

HTH
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 04:06 PM   #3
drbones

Default whoa

D@mn,
20 Gigs a month is a lot. What exactly are you serving on your site.... Movie clips? Lots of pictures?
Im starting to get curious how much bandwidth I'm using...
Thanks
Ryan
drbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 05:25 AM   #4
pgkooijman

net-ads.com is a cool site. I will investigate further. Perhaps I should start running ads pretty soon, too bad it will ruin my site's cleanliness....

The site is pretty heavy in some ways with Flash animations and many graphics. People average 20-25 pages/visit so that also helps to increase bandwith like anthing.

I just received a letter from Gorilla Nation ad agency, anyone have any experience with these guys? They are focussed on ads for fantasy/games websites. Sounds good for my site.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:33 AM   #5
PaulT

GorillaNation appear to be doing fine at the moment, it's always a good sign when you recieve a letter from them asking to serve ads on your page - it's a sure sign that they could have a high CPM waiting for you.

As they are so similar to UGO, I just don't hope they go the same way..
Old 11-11-2001, 08:55 AM   #6
pgkooijman

Thumbs up

Okay,

just received their forms and will fill them in and join. Isn't it a bit strange that I need to send them my forms by fax or e-mail.....

CJ.com and many like it all have online entries. Should that be considered as a good/bad or no sign?
Old 11-11-2001, 09:11 AM   #7
PaulT

I have just filled out a contract for Adtegrity on offline-paper. I don't think it's all that unusual..
Old 11-11-2001, 09:44 AM   #8
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by pgkooijman
Okay,

just received their forms and will fill them in and join. Isn't it a bit strange that I need to send them my forms by fax or e-mail.....

CJ.com and many like it all have online entries. Should that be considered as a good/bad or no sign?
It's perfectly normal to sign a paper contract. I actually prefer a signed paper contract since it lays out the terms of the agreement between the publisher and the ad network.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 11:41 AM   #9
Taz

to lessen your 20 gig ouch you might want to term your site from over use of graphics or using Mod zip to compress files MSIE un co mpress and thus less used bandwigth... I haven't been to your site so i am not sure if you can trim your areas but if graphics are 300 resolution and bigger making them 72 or so resoulstion ( res you see on screen) for smaller files.. just try to trim your losses while still providing a kick *** site... also defintely look into ads for atleats minmizing your losses....

and selling stuff from amazon or other places for your loftherings
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 05:34 PM   #10
pgkooijman

The graphics I am using are pretty much optimized with Photoshop (which really helped by the way). I think it's the large amount of graphics and the the LotR sounds available and some of the Flash stuff that increase the bandwith the most. People like it like that however. This site is not like yahoo.com or anything like that and people come to my site for the nice look & feel and are willing to wait the extra seconds for the load. Decreasing the number of graphics is not an attractive option. I'd rather pay extra bucks....
Old 11-12-2001, 04:30 AM   #11
Martin64

Actually, I don't think 20Gb/month sound like a lot of bandwith usage for that amount of unique visitors. One of my sites has about 1500 uniques per day and about 30Gb/month for bandwidth. We offer a lot of downloads though.

Just like with your site pgkooijman, I prefer not to lower the quality of images and code to save a few bucks. Lord of the rings...mmm...can't wait for the new movie(s)
Martin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:50 AM   #12
Edwin

Do you have official permission to use all the photos, artwork, images, graphics etc. on your Tolkien site?

I'm just asking because I was having a look around it and, while it certainly looks very elegant, I guess it must have taken months and months to secure all the necessary permissions!

Edwin
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 11:35 AM   #13
FocaJohnL

Edwin has a point -- I was thinking the same thing about permissions. It would be a bit annoying to invest a lot of time and energy into this site and get the advertising working well, only to have whatever movie company sick the lawyers on you to shut it down. I hope you're all clear on that!
FocaJohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 01:49 PM   #14
pgkooijman

Yeah, I was having the same worries. With my other site I took care of all the rights with extensive legal notices and everything. But that is a Search & Recruitment site that needs international terms of agreements, privacy statements, etc.

This site does brake many a copyright law, I must admit. The most important thing would be to secure the frameart and the many illustration used by John Howe. He did give me permission as long as his name is on the top right corner where it is now. I made sure to use his artwork for the important stuff and easily replacable graphics for other things.

The Tolkien Estate has all the rights to all the names, locations, etc mentioned in the books. You'd be amazed how many names are actually claimed! On the other hand they do not enforce their rights as they have much to gain from the many, many fan sites making free promotion for the books that earn them the money.

Take it from me, in the Lord of the Rings Fanpage Genre, mine is the politest when it comes to acknowledgements and credits. Make a small google search and see what the true pirats are doing. Hell, there is a Polish Site having all the complete books on the site........
Old 11-12-2001, 10:05 PM   #15
Edwin

Somehow, that's what I suspected.

Until you fix your copyright issues (and by the way, you can have 100 pages of warnings, disclaimers and any legalese you like and it still won't protect you in the eyes of the law) there's no point at all in soliciting advertising.

It may be that it is impossible for you to continue your site without the graphics and photos that clearly infringe on the rights of others. Then, as far as I see it, the *right* thing to do is to shut the site down.

If you are not willing/able to do that, then don't expect to make a single $ off the intellectual property of others!

Edwin
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote