Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2001, 12:20 PM   #1
notibrian

Default best day to send our newsletter?

i send newsletter during weekdays and got so many emails (100+ emails out of 4000+ or 3%) bounce back due to "exceed storage limit" ... thus i thought that people might check email during weekends and there should be less email bouncing back ... but too bad around the same amount of emails are bouncing back

how about you guys/gals? do you get the same percentage of email bouncing back due to "exceeed storage limit"? and from your experience, which day is the best day to send out newsletter?
notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 01:28 PM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

i probably get 30 - 60 bounced emails out of every 1000 subscribers

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 12:08 PM   #3
notibrian

that worse than me singloon !!! ... really wish that there is a script that will automatically send them the newsletter maybe 48 hours later

off topic - i finally can sign-up the raskshack account online hehehe
notibrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 02:08 PM   #4
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

That's a good idea actually, doing email clean-up after the weekend.

I manage a listserv and we're constantly getting bounces. If a regular subscriber bounces we put them on the digest version for a week. If they continue to bounce after a week on digest we unsubscribe them.

Perhaps we should wait until a full week plus a weekend has passed.

This is one of my pet peeves about those free email accounts. They're easy to get and they fill up fast. One of our list members has had three Yahoo accounts in the past two years. She lets her mailbox go to quota and then resubscribes with a new email addy. Last time that happened I told her she either maintains her existing mailbox or there will be no more resubs. People can be awfully inconsiderate.

And that's just one of the reasons I've resisted the impulse to do a newsletter.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 02:50 PM   #5
Lil_Red

We have an automated script that unsubscribes bounces. If someone cannot maintain their email account properly, it is not our responsibility to do it for them. They can always resubscribe with a correctly working email address.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 09:40 PM   #6
mjames

Don't send it on weekends - people who check their e-mail at work won't get it.

Don't send it out on Monday's. People come in Monday morning and tend to quickly clear their inboxes out from everything the last week - not a good time.

I think the best time is Thursday or Friday. Friday afternoons are great - I mean, who works on a Friday afternoon? If you're not already into something, it's too late to start.
mjames is offline   Reply With Quote