Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2001, 06:10 PM   #1
suresk

Default Interesting Marketing Idea

Being a student of marketing, I'm always on the lookout for great marketing ideas. I've read plenty of books on the subject, but sometimes a real-life example beats reading a dozen books

Lately, I've been shopping around for a new car. Two of the cars I've been looking at are the Nissan Maxima and Altima (but I'm leaning toward the Maxima ), so I went to Nissan and requested some printed info to be sent to my house. A few weeks later I got an interesting package in the mail, it was a big container of sorts that looked like an oversized medicine bottle aorund the theme of "Cure for the common car". I took some pics and posted them here in case you want to see what it looked like.

Now, to my point - When I got it, my mom asked me "Why the heck did they put in such an odd package?". Good question. If you look at the pics, you'll notice that its nothing but a brochure and a few papers, something that could have easily been thrown in an envelope and sent to me at a much lower cost.

The reason for the funky packaging - it stands out and begs to be opened. If they had in fact sent it in an envelope, it might have been ignored or even put directly in the garbage like a lot of stuff I get, even though I did request it. This way, almost everyone is going to take a look at what's inside! I was amazed at the ingeniuty and simplicity of it all, but maybe I'm just a bit weird Every day I'll get 10 or so pieces of mail, most of them marketing material of one kind or another, and this one truly stood out.

So my question is: Any ideas on how we can apply this idea to the Internet? When I compared it to how my own advertising is, I'm probably guilty of being like the other 10 pieces of mail, which usually get chucked before I even read them.

I'm interested in any idea/thoughts on this
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 07:20 PM   #2
Fromage

Well, my suggestion is this:

Hardly anyone reads newsletters nowadays, so it would be good to make your own newsletter to stand out. One internet DVD store around here had a "great" idea. They sent me a newsletter with a large file as an attachment. Usually I delete all that kind of thing, but this was different. I became curious when I had to wait 2 minutes to download a single email. When I found out that it was just an ad, that webmaster got a really unfriendly e-mail from me. Well, atleast he got my attention, if that was what he wanted.

Ahh, you wanted great ideas. Perhaps giving free stuff is a good idea. Atleast I love comppanies who send me email that I have won a free trip to Barcelona or a new mobile phone
Actually this won't work in english countries. Everyone knows that "you have won"-email is some kind of spam

EDIT: ohh, I didn't know that **** is a bad word. Sorry.

Last edited by Fromage; 10-25-2001 at 07:23 PM.
Fromage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 07:49 PM   #3
suresk

Yea, thats what I thought too. Your options are somewhat limited without offending someone, and everyone knows that those "You have won.." or "You are entitled to.." titles are spam.

Still, I can't help but think that a concept like this would work somehow on the Internet in some way.
Old 10-25-2001, 09:49 PM   #4
RandySteiner

BIG NO!

Large attachment will certainly annoy every subscribers. I join over 16 newsletters and if each of them sent large attachment, don't you think you'll better unsubscribe?
RandySteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 11:24 PM   #5
zboca

Suresk,

I think you accidentally threw away, hrm, I guess it looks like a Microsoft CD? Not sure, anyway

That is a really cool idea- the oversized package for something so small. I'm not sure how you could do the same with the Internet, meaning catch someone's attention after we have been desensitized by the numerous emails claiming prizes won or what else we receive daily.

However, I am glad you pointed this out, because it has made me think of how I can "catch" peoples attention another way other than just having an ad that appeals or interests people. Its not a secret, but I'm not sure if it has been pushed. Why not have something that just shakes the hell out of the screen before displaying an ad or shooting lightning, something that will catch peoples attention? For the less fun ads, something appropriate, and at the same time something that is not seen everyday could be thought up to catch attention-- gaining awareness.

By the way, good chair: Have the same in silver.
zboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 11:54 PM   #6
suresk

Actually, that isn't a trash just a place I stick odds and ends.. As you can tell my desk is a bit cluttered right now!

I don't really have an exact idea of how to use this general concept on the Internet right now. But the idea of getting your message noticed is one that really needs some work on the Internet. My number one reason for not using CPM banner ads as an advertiser is that they don't get even noticed. It doesn't matter how well prepared your message is or how great your product is, if your target doesn't even notice it, its worthless.

This is nothing new really, just getting this package in the mail caused me to think about it.

And yes, it is a nice chair
Old 10-26-2001, 01:37 AM   #7
Scuba

Cool

About the out side world I guess Nissan are not the only one.
Look at the new Lego Bionicle and RoboRiders packeges, Instead of the old carton boxes they are using plastic boxes that in some cases can be added to the model itself as parts.
the graphic program "Paint" is curently being shipped in a pain box like the paint you are using to paint the house. Also make it stand up only at the place near my house they are putting it on the back of a Vitrina and you can't see it.

A good designd and targeted banner or a tergeted / embaded text links can do the trick. I have been to sites that the banners were embaded so good into the content that I clicked them because I was thinking they are a continuation of the material.
At my site I have articles with text links that generate a CTR of 4.7% and a 4.8% convertion ratio.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:50 AM   #8
jnestor

I think the internet equivalent are ads that don't live within a box. Like the Ford flying crows that was on Yahoo. I also saw one recently for 13 ghosts that flashed ghosts all over the screen. It was a bit annoying the second time however.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 11:28 AM   #9
Fahd

Default I may be a little off topic here

Ive been reading these posts and thought Ill contribute a bit of what I can. This marketing idea may have been tried and failed/succeeded, Im not aware of it though. Im referring to throwing in a freebie that the user/customer wasnt expecting. Like when someone makes a purchase on our web site, at the time of shipping the product we throw in a mouse pad free of cost, this mouse pad ofcourse contains our sites logo and url. In almost all cases, the customers are really pleased, throw away the old pad/replace it with our new one and come back to our site for future shopping needs.

Maybe you can apply the same technique to your site/business.

Fahd
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 11:55 AM   #10
LastActionHero

As they say in , Advertising is all about catching people's attention. For that you got to constantly think of new ways of doing things. The surprise element has to be there. Like the hotmail site re-design, look how it was talked all over? But now nobody talks about it, because people have got used to it.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 01:07 PM   #11
Fromage

Default Re: I may be a little off topic here

Quote:
Originally posted by thesmartshoppe
Ive been reading these posts and thought Ill contribute a bit of what I can. This marketing idea may have been tried and failed/succeeded, Im not aware of it though. Im referring to throwing in a freebie that the user/customer wasnt expecting. Like when someone makes a purchase on our web site, at the time of shipping the product we throw in a mouse pad free of cost, this mouse pad ofcourse contains our sites logo and url. In almost all cases, the customers are really pleased, throw away the old pad/replace it with our new one and come back to our site for future shopping needs.

Maybe you can apply the same technique to your site/business.

Fahd
I worked for a finnish company 1,5 years ago (same kind of company than Jobsonline). They send couple of hundred mousepads to old customers and i think that some of those went to universities and libraries. When CEO needed a new employee, he saw the ad in the mousepad.

It should work pretty well, but I don't know the details, because I don't work there anymore.
Fromage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 02:01 PM   #12
zboca

What you all are talking about would be a good form of cognitive dissonance reduction. After you buy something, usually something expensive, you start feeling guilt or are scared you purchased it. The mousepad would be a good form of reduction of that fear or worry that you should not have made the purchase.
zboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 06:07 PM   #13
Dan's Best APD

Talking

If we think very hard, we'll surely come out with some brand new idea... still: we don't need to re-invent the wheel! Do you want to catch people attention? Be funny!

No one clicks on banners anymore. But on funny banners.

No one reads commercial emails anymore. Unless a funny heading makes them to.

You see it on TV, you see it on the press: the most successful ad campains are the ones that make people laugh!

Maybe we should concentrate on creating new Osama-jokes or Michael-Jordan-Is-Back gags and use them to market our products...

Last edited by Dan's Best APD; 10-26-2001 at 06:08 PM.
Dan's Best APD is offline   Reply With Quote