Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2001, 04:15 AM   #1
Jan

Administrator

Smile This is so sweet :)

I get lots of lovely email, but this I found very touching.

"Dear Jan,

I am the editor of a children's newspaper on the island of Cyprus.
Started 2 years ago Kid's Corner is owned and opperated by a small group of teachers who wish to encourage children to read and learn outside the classroom.

Recently while researching our December edition, Christmas around the world, we came across your web site. We would very much like permission to use your picture of Santa running into the ocean in our newspaper. Of course we will give the illustrator (you?) and your website full credit and mention in the paper.

I appreciate your consideration and look forward to hearing from you in the near future."

When I consider how naive I was as a kid, that everyone in the world spoke the same language as me, I think this is great! The Europeans (at least) have been teaching kids English from around age 10 for many years.

But to be teaching them the different cultures (like how Christmas celebrations differ), I think is wonderful!

I remember as a little one, wondering why Christmas cards had snow on them, when it doesn't snow at Christmas!

Anyway, just thought I would share that with my geek family

Last edited by Jan; 10-24-2001 at 04:18 AM.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 04:19 AM   #2
singloon

GeekGuide

wow that's great

yesterday i got the complete opposite email from 2 Aussie visitors to my sites - had to ban one of them from my forums

i'd post it but the forum censors would cover nearly all of the text

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 04:35 AM   #3
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by singloon
i'd post it but the forum censors would cover nearly all of the text
Should try it and see if we can read between the ***s
Old 10-24-2001, 06:46 AM   #4
Kathy

Awwww....Jan! That is very very cool. Thanks for sharing this. Not only the part about the children, but its encouraging to remember there are people out there that ask permission to use our copyrighted material. Warms my heart both ways.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:15 AM   #5
Jan

Administrator

Yes I agree with the copyright aspect also. Been there - done that

It is only the 'crooks' that steal! The nice people ask permission.

I often wonder what happened to those who asked if they could use some of the poems on my site for their pages. When I explained that some I used were exclusive to my site so they couldn't just use them without the author's permission, and what is your URL please? I never heard back from them.

Occasionally I do a search for a specific author (or the first lines of a poem), just to check, but so far haven't found anyone using them.

I find it comforting to know there are still some nice people out there though
Old 10-24-2001, 08:01 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
I find it comforting to know there are still some nice people out there though...
I'm guessing that this Christmas will be less material and more emotional than most, given the world's largely inspirational reaction to the attacks on America.

Already, I've received a great deal of similar email to the one noted above, with people asking permission to use my graphics (from a site of mine that is exclusively devoted to distributing free graphics, no less), others thanking me for chasing up carols for them, people sending emotion-fueled poetry to another of my sites, and others readily suggesting a willingness to open their minds to the exploration of foreign cultures and customs.

I had one child contact me asking if Santa really rode a surfboard into Australia as he had heard. How cute.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 08:32 PM   #7
Rhea

Location: Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex. I could pinch them.

Hey Jan,

Warms the ****les of your heart, doesn't it? It's amazing how uplifting a nice email can be...especially if advertising isn't going particularly well.

Thanks for passing this one along!

(EDIT: Oh for crying out loud, I simply typed an innocent common term for a mollusk and it was bleeped out. Sheesh!)

Last edited by Rhea; 10-24-2001 at 08:34 PM.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 11:24 PM   #8
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhea
(EDIT: Oh for crying out loud, I simply typed an innocent common term for a mollusk and it was bleeped out. Sheesh!)
hahahahaha that happened to me once too, (can't remember what it was now ) but I quickly went back in and changed it for a more appropriate one.

But in your case there is none.

Warms the molluscs of your heart???? Nah