Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 02:18 PM   #1
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow ADMIN needs help: YOUR Flag for smilies

Hello,

National pride is a very powerfull and valuable force in the world we live in. It can also be a very sensative subject so I want to make sure it's handled properly and that I don't neglect your flag. I have started a preliminary collection of "flags" which you may use as Smiles. These static flags/smilies must all fit in a grid which measures no larger than 20x20 pixels. This can be quite challenging so I need your help. Please review the images in this open directory:

If your flag is not in this directory please post a URL to the 20x20 static image. Please do not email me the image. If you don't like my version or it's not correct, please post a URL for the 20x20 image you wish to use. Please insure that it's appropriate/legal for me to use the image. If attribution is required then please indicate this data and it will be placed in the first section of our FAQ at:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/mi...?s=&action=faq

After we work our way through a few flags they will be available as smiles.

IMHO, this Flag request is also a great educational project for your "kids" and or students. What better way to teach them about the world we live in via research on Flags for a given country.

Thanks GEEKS!

Last edited by Steve_S; 10-07-2001 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2001, 09:42 PM   #2
Supermoo

Very nice idea Steve,

I've also seen an add-on for vB where you get the little flags next to your name, I'm not sure where you get the add-on but I'm almost certain it would come with all the flags...

Here's the forum I saw it at... http://support.myacen.com.au/forums/...5&pagenumber=1
Old 10-05-2001, 10:18 PM   #3
Supermoo

Aussie flag, Aussie flag, soon I'll have an Aussie flag!

http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=27485

There you go Steve, might save some trouble.
Old 10-06-2001, 03:10 AM   #4
LastActionHero

Hello Steve,

Nice idea. But the flag of India is in a ratio of 1:1.5 (2:3). So a 20x20 pixel image will distort it heavily. Any solutions?
Old 10-06-2001, 03:34 AM   #5
Jan

Administrator

As most (maybe all) flags are rectangular, I think they would all be distorted at 20*20

Maybe Steve means 20*40 or 10*20???

The aus flag here http://www.g17.com/flags/ is 15*8

Last edited by Jan; 10-06-2001 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2001, 04:21 AM   #6
Supermoo

All flags in the add-on above are 21x14, which seems to work quite nicley... and has a few hundred countries already listed.

Although if Steve still wants a maximum of 20 pixels wide someone could peform a batch conversion to them all!

I guess it's up to the tribal chief once again.
Old 10-06-2001, 04:47 AM   #7
ref
Member.

Can we get half flags as well? For example Iím a mixture between two countries. I love them equally.
Old 10-06-2001, 01:57 PM   #8
Steve_S

Quote:
Originally posted by Supermoo
All flags in the add-on above are 21x14, which seems to work quite nicley... and has a few hundred countries already listed.

Although if Steve still wants a maximum of 20 pixels wide someone could peform a batch conversion to them all!

I guess it's up to the tribal chief once again.

My appolagies for the confusion. What I was trying to say is that the flags can't be any larger than the grid size without distorting them. No distorting them so they must fit in the grid and can be smaller.

Thanks for the hack URL. 21x14 works just fine. Please review the first new batch of 44 at:

If I missed your Flag just post in this thread and I'm happy to include it. I think about 50 flags to start should be fine. We need to be carefull of the number of new smilies we include since folks on a dial up may not be happy and the complexity of the page. Some folks have no interest in this and I certainly respect their wishes. I love eye candy and after we finish this review I will handle flag requests in the Tek Questions Forum on a case by case basis and create a FAQ and a special announcement.

Since these are smilies you can include them in your signature for your own country or countries. The first batch of 44 was taken from my log files but given the sensativity of the issue I wan't to try and make everyone happy who wan'ts their Flag.

Thanks GEEKS

Last edited by Steve_S; 10-07-2001 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2001, 04:59 PM   #9
Steve_S

Arrow Finito

Thanks everyone for the great help and ideas. The first bunch of 44 Flags are available as Smilies

Effective with this post, requests for your own flag are handled in our Technical Questions Forum as per this FAQ:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=13267

ENJOY

Closed Thread