Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2001, 01:17 PM   #1
Magic2K2

Default Press Releases

I am considering writing a press release for my new website and e-mailing it to many magazines and newspapers that may appreciate my content. I was wondering if this is a good strategy and if anyone has any tips. Is e-mail a good medium or should I opt for snail mail? If anyone has released a press release before, especially for a content-based site (ie. no product), please reply.

Thanks in advance.
Magic2K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 07:53 AM   #2
Marty Winston

I have created more than a thousand press releases. They are terrible at getting press coverage - and mine are among the most effective in the profession (when I do them, which isn't often any more).

What's the news hook? What is it about your site that makes it more than just one more Web site among 12 million others, that makes it important to cover now?

When a visitor comes, how are you going to make his or her life better, what will you cure, how will you make them feel enough of a sense of value to get them to come back again?

You have decided on a communications tool without really thinking through the most compelling message you can communicate.

Many journalists, by the way, delete on receipt anything that smells like a press release. A brief note (sentence or two) and contact info are often more compelling.
Marty Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 11:05 AM   #3
Magic2K2

My site cures cancer.

No, but really, my site is the only legit basketball site that offers NBA news and rumors, plus fantasy basketball and member contests\games.

The corporate sites don't publish rumors and the big time personal sites don't have the programmers to do fantasy leagues and games and such.

Is that newsworthy? The site is new, so I'd be announcing the site in general.
Magic2K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 11:10 AM   #4
Marty Winston

Are the rumors first-hand, not "inherited"?

Then develop e-mail notes to sprotscasters and sports reporters giving a couple of the hottest rumors and inviting them to your site. Skip the release.
Marty Winston is offline   Reply With Quote