Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Search Engine Marketing & Optimization
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2001, 01:11 PM   #1
rinnando

Thumbs up how to get top ranking or at least get listed

Everyday I read about what is true and what is not about how search engines rank and how to get high positions. There is no
sure way to do t. They change the system each time we think we got the secrets. But still the more quality links that point to
your site the better. I don't think links within your own site count.
Have I been lucky or is it due to hard work and keeping up with things that I have managed to get over 1700 links to my site
according to market leap? I have held nr. one position on several major engines for a while now with my favorite keys word
free sreensavers. Why am I listed above others with the same keyword? Is it link popularity? Must be something. I have and
never will spend a penny on any kind of submission. I do it all myself manually. That is the only way. Resubmit after 3-4
months.
Marketleap offers you a way to see where you site is listed on 38 different engines. I tried it and I am nr 1 on 16 engines (
my keyword :free sreensavers ) altavista, aol, google, lycos, allthe web, looksmart to mention a few and listed on the first 3
pages of 23 engines. It go up and down day by day , but still I think it all comes down to this: There is no magic formula to get
high ranking, all it takes is dedication and a lot of hard work and time.
I don't know if I may post this link but I think many would like to see how they stand in link popularity and search engines. and
yes it's free.
What you also can do is use your domain name as keyword just to check if you are listed at all. The program generates a list of
all the engines with yes or no if you are listed besides it. Then you can simply click on the link to the engine you are not listed
on and submit your site on the spot.
If any one ever needs any advice or help just send me an e mail!
here is the link
http://www.marketleap.com/
hope I have been of some help
louisa
rinnando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 05:12 PM   #2
sdarken

Are you intentionally targetteting a misspelling? I am guessing that this is an honest mistake on your part.

I thought you had mistyped "screensavers" when you mentioned it in your post but now I see that you have it misspelled in your site as well ("sreensavers" - missing a "c" appears 4 times on your home page).

There is no magic here. You have a good ranking because I expect very few people have this misspelling on their site - especially on their home page.

If this is a mistake I would suggest that you think very carefully before changing it however since, by my calculations, about 14,000 searches are done every month on "sreen saver" or "sreensaver". I suspect that you would have trouble achieving these same rankings on the correct spelling.

However you do need to consider the fact that many people will find a blatant misspell (on the home page) to be a sign of an unprofessional site.

Last edited by sdarken; 09-29-2001 at 05:13 PM.
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 02:54 AM   #3
rinnando

Yes the screen saver is misspelled I know. And yes many do misspell this word.
I have thought of changing it but it does bring in many hits. As for it being unprofessional. Do you mean the way I use it? Or does it look like I can't
spell ? I am thinking of explaining it on my site so people don't think I am stupid. I
did it intentionally. You would be surprised how many people misspell that word.
And yes the to get a high ranking on free screen savers is almost to hard to beat. We
are a fairly new site and in time we will change it, but for now we will use it.
The main purpose is to get people to your site and then keep them coming . I can
see that we are book marked very often and that is a good sign. Then we may
remove the misspelled word. But then the thousand of people who come to our site
have also misspelled screen saver and who am I too tell them they are wrong? At
least we give them what they are looking for. And an average rate of 10-15 page
views per session is not bad. And once they are there I see that they also go to other
pages of our site.

As for unprofessional what I dislike is searching for a site and landing on a site that
uses a keyword that has nothing to do with the site. That is what I call
unprofessional.

sometimes you have to weight the pro and contras when deciding how to attract
visitors. I do get remarks that it is misspelled but then my visitors are at this moment
more important to me then what people might think of me personally. At least I don't
sent out spam mail- -or promise something they don't get--

thanks any way for replying.
louisa
Old 09-30-2001, 06:25 PM   #4
sdarken

Louisa - hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I was trying to be helpful - not critical.

I think that when people see a spelling error on a website, they would get the impression that the site is not as professional as it should be. If you walked into a store and saw a sign with a spelling error you would think the same thing.

If that misspell is getting you loads of extra traffic there is no way I would change it. Most people wont notice it.

- Simon
sdarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 12:15 AM   #5
rinnando

No it is ok. I just wanted to explain that I did know it was mis spelled. And I would hate to lose it at the moment. We are still a growing site. Thanks anyway.
louisa aka rinnando