Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2001, 03:41 AM   #1
Bassmaster

Default Any feedback? About to launch our affiliate program

I'm about to launch our affiliate program very soon. The site is live and we are making sales, and have received excellent feedback from customers. Waiting to make sure all bugs are worked out prior to launching program as we don't want any problems.

Having considered most every alternative, I've concluded CJ will be the network as they have the largest affiliate base. We're currently debating the commission percentage. Having been a productive affiliate for a few years makes me anxious to ensure trust, and communication. I'm fairly active in CJ's forums and will continue to be in order to help affiliates.

We are thinking in the neighborhood of 20% now, for a product(software..see profile) that sells for $24.95 or $29.95 with an incentive for large performers (30%).

We may offer product links that acually allow the buyer to purchase from your page. Of course we will have to ensure security but I think its very possible.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Bassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 08:00 AM   #2
Sve

Hi Bassmaster, I'm new here but I remember you from CJU

I have this concern about your program: you offer a free trial of your software. In my experience I'm unable to sold any application when there a free trial option.

This feature is great for users, but not very good for affiliates.

Perhaps you can use lead option for trial download.
Sve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 09:34 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

!Bienvenidos a la Geek/Talk Sve!

It's great to see you here.

Best of luck developing, launching and supporting your affiliate program, Bassmaster. I have very little advice to give right now, except to suggest that you consider running a test campaign through a more affordable affiliate management ASP (such as FineClicks, Affiliate-Fuel or ClickXchange) prior to investing in CJ's comparitively hefty initial outlay. Although these don't grant you access to quite as large an affiliate base, they allow you to make a tentative entrance to the market, in which to test conversion rates, refine your margins, selling pages and the like. Again, good luck.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 10:00 AM   #4
Sve

¡Gracias Czar!

I'm very glad to be in this great community!
Old 08-27-2001, 11:18 AM   #5
Bassmaster

Sve,
I really don't think a lead for the download would be beneficial for everyone involved. The commission percentage would have to go down. Also, with the free trial option, there should be a very low number of reversals. They see exactly what they get, then decide whether or not to buy.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-27-2001, 11:24 AM   #6
Bassmaster

Czar,
Thanks for the input. I'm currently testing the conversion rate via several links from 5 of my other sites which focus on this type of software. So far the numbers are unbelievable, however I need to let it work for a week to see some real numbers to which we can base an overall CR.

Since launch, Saturday afternoon, we have made 1 sale per 30 unique visitors. Thats a very attractive CR especially since they haven't even had time for the trial to runout.

It will be tested thoroughly prior to CJ activation.

Rgds,
Shawn
Old 08-27-2001, 12:05 PM   #7
Scuba

I am sure that lot's of web masters will prefer a much more secure way like lead over a actual purches even if the commition is lower.
In any case to be fair, if you decide to go with purches and not lead - Plz make sure that the duration is long enogth.
I had a murchent with a 30 days free try'l and 15 day duration.
HAD is the work here.......
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 12:24 PM   #8
Sve

Bassmaster,

Perhaps a lead for the download is not a very good idea,

It was just my concern: for example I never have any sale with antivirus vendors (Kaspersky Lab for example) and another software vendors offering free downloads.

But I have sold the same type of products through Software Oasis, they only offer downloads and licencing.

anyway I think I will try your program if you have it in CJ, perhaps you will be an exception,

good luck!
Old 08-27-2001, 12:51 PM   #9
Bassmaster

Trial lasts for 7 days, and the cookie duration will be 30 days. We are steady making sales today, with just inhouse traffic, and the customers haven't even had time for the trial to runout.

I know everyone has heard this before, but I want to pay out commissions. The more transactions our affiliates have, the more we are making.

I'm easily reached by phone or email and usually reply within at least a couple hours. In effect, affiliates will have fast turnaround for support.

Rgds,
Shawn