Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > StopScum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2001, 03:41 PM   #31
singloon

GeekGuide

doh already had a link to it myself

http://www.simplythebest.net/info/spyware.html

Quote:
You can remove EZula instances from the Registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\EZulaBoot.InstallCtrl.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\EZulaBoot.InstallCtrl.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\EZulaBootExe.InstallCtrl
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\EZulaBootExe.InstallCtrl.1.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\AppID\eZulaBoo tExe.EXE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\AppID\{C033519 8-6755-11D4-8A73-0050DA2EE1BE**
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{3D724 7D1-5DB8-11D4-8A72-0050DA2EE1BE**
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{C0335 197-6755-11D4-8A73-0050DA2EE1BE**
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{3D7247DE-5DB8-11D4-8A72-0050DA2EE1BE**
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\ModuleUsage\C:/WINDOWS/Downloaded Program Files/eZulaBoot.dll

And in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU you'll find an entry for EZulaboot.

And from your harddisk:

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\InstallCtrl.class, which mentions two files it depends on ezulaboot.dll and ezulaboot.inf.
C:\WINDOWS\eZulains.exe
C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG\ezulains.lgc

You can use AD-aware to get rid of Toptext, but it will cause problems with your Internet connection and so forth. Best way to go is not to download and install ANY spyware. It's getting more difficult to get rid of them and even to find them. After using AD-aware you can double check the Registry by doing a Find for eZula.

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 04:16 PM   #32
Dave-AHFB

Will somebody please me. I do not know when this was created
geek/talk > Community > SCUM!!! Screen Captures

but this is the first I have seen of it. Having seen this now, I have to wonder just what in the uh? are we trying to organize? Why make something difficult out of something so easy? I have only looked at 1 thread of screenshots so far, but if it is representative of what the other threads, there really is no longer a war. A simple email campaign to your legislators including those government screen shots along with some good disney shots with description of what words link to what domains would put a quick and sudden death to this.

I would like to note that all screenshots should have the time and date.

I cannot install either program for some reason so I am going to forget everything else and just concentrate on mailing government agencies with the already gathered information.

Dave
Dave-AHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 04:20 PM   #33
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave-AHFB
Will somebody please me. I do not know when this was created
geek/talk > Community > SCUM!!! Screen Captures
yeah join the club i only noticed that forum the other day as well

not sure how much more convincing this will make it but video screen captures of cursor movements and illegally tagged/underlined links and where they lead to can be done using snagit http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp

Old 08-19-2001, 06:03 PM   #34
WildComputer

Thanks Singloon

Does anybody know if where I can find similar for Surf+ and Gator?
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 06:20 PM   #35
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by WildComputer
Thanks Singloon

Does anybody know if where I can find similar for Surf+ and Gator?
for gator and surf+ i think ad-aware app is used.. i found surf+ uninstall info here http://www.filemix.net/surfplus/s_faq.htm#13

i put up a page at http://i4net.tv/ezula.php but this was after Steve private messaged me and asked me to get the word out on the forums i frequent

Last edited by singloon; 08-19-2001 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2001, 06:37 PM   #36
WildComputer

Well my thought is this

Maybe we could develop program code that detects and offers the user the option to uninstall or deactivate these programs under Windows.

We can release such code under the GPL (Gnu Public License) or similar scheme,, which would mean
(a) it's source code and can be integrated into any application
(b) potentially an unlimited number of people can contribute to the development
(c) it's open to public scrutiny, so everybody knows exactly what its doing
(d) it's free
(e) translated into other programming languages, etc.

If you ever read other parts of my personal site that are not concerned with ezula, you know that normally a skeptic on open-source (it rarely delivers complete up-to-date applications except in certain specific areas), but I think in this case it could work, because it is of interest to many technical people and the scope could be clearly defined.

Imagine if you will, a thousand or ten thousand commercial, shareware, and freeware programs integrating such code into their programs...

The first step is to identify EXACTLY what would need to happen to (a) detect, and (b) deactivate or remove the program

The second step is to find out what is the most light weight way to do it, so that it does not burden software packages with too much additional data or complexity

Of course if Lavasort or a similar company were willing to contribute their knowledge and/or appropriate source fragments, this would be much easier.

Last edited by WildComputer; 08-19-2001 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2001, 06:47 PM   #37
singloon

GeekGuide

could this be open to abuse if this app was distributed from several sources/sites ?

Old 08-19-2001, 07:05 PM   #38
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Like Sunil and others, I have been working very hard on this issue for nearly a week. Neglecting my other duties. Even my girl friend is mad at me

In a few hours I will announce StopScum.com but here is a preview. Please CAREFULLY read my postition on this issue and the friend of page. It should resolve for you:

http://www.stopscum.com/

I love the code idea. Outstanding. I need to take a break so byby for a few
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 07:05 PM   #39
WildComputer

Yes and No would be the answer

We need to differentiate between the source code used to build programs, and the finished applications.

Finished applications - Yes to the extent that there is no review mechanism of what completed applications do. I don't see that it would be possible to ensure the a particular program had integrated it properly or not modified the code to do something else. But then again, if they wanted to do something else they could just as, or probably more easily write their own code to do whatever it is they want their particular program to do.

Source code - No to the extent that any derivative versions would have to be released in source form. If we could persuade a major free software organizations (of which there are more than one) to officially adopt the resultant code [i.e. a 3rd step] anybody producing derivative source code, would have to release the source [and hence be open to public scrutiny] or end up in court pretty quickly.

Also to clarify, I am not talking about a major sophisticated program, just a fragment of code. I wouldn't imagine, if we knew the steps [which is probably the hardest part], the total code would be more than a few hundred lines at least initially. By comparison, even simple Windows programs usually run into tens of thousands or more lines of code.

Basically the software author would just cut'n'paste the code into his program, add one line like -- detectpredator(); -- and that would be it. Hey presto, app protected.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:15 PM   #40
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave-AHFB
I have only looked at 1 thread of screenshots so far, but if it is representative of what the other threads, there really is no longer a war. A simple email campaign to your legislators including those government screen shots along with some good disney shots with description of what words link to what domains would put a quick and sudden death to this.

I would like to note that all screenshots should have the time and date.

Dave
Can someone with Toptext installed browse through MICROSOFT sites???
If it is used there, that should put an end to this very quick.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 01:01 AM   #41
harry

Hi Steve

Congrats!!

Glad to see GV contribution to the fight against Contextual Advertising, emerge on website

http://www.stopscum.com/

Have just added a text link to my front page redirecting to StopScum.com

Keep up the great work.

All the best

Harith
http://www.danex-exm.dk
harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 04:21 AM   #42
singloon

GeekGuide

just had another thought, would it be possible to have the ezula toptext killer script embedded in ad code? if we got doubleclick.com and valueclick.com like companies on our side they could include the anti-code (like that name ) in their ad codes for webmasters which would be easier and allow a wider reach to combat this?

just thinking out aloud

Old 08-20-2001, 09:49 AM   #43
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Sure George, Nice thought.

This plays to our Community strentgh since they all visit GV. We must deliver zillons of impressions so the first step is to insure they know about it.

1) New Wild Computer guidelines on screen captures + contact procedures at:

http://66.33.83.213/forums/showthrea...threadid=12322

2) I'm not sure but I think Gator may do the banner swap thing with these networks as well. If we can pin this down, document it with screen captures and text plus notify them, I'm confident we can continue to make great progress.

3) We can't assume they already know. One thousand emails on the issue is far better than 3. Plus FAX and phone

Keep the faith!
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote