Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2001, 06:52 AM   #1
theDirtiest

Default What can be done with this Domain Name, Legally?

Recently a new stock car racing league was introduced. It is called the Team Racing Auto Circuit. Knowing www.trac.com was taken, I tried my luck with www.teamracingautocircuit.com. For some unknown reason the people who are starting this league did not buy the domain name, so I bought the .com and .net names. Would I be breaking any laws by creating a website related to this league? I recieve numerous emails from fans, drivers, mechanics, etc. inquiring about the league. Currently I just ingnore them, do to the fact I do not want to answer them in such a way I would put my self in a legal dispute.

If you would like any information about the plans of the league (I don't know why), here is a search query from yahoo. http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=...t%22&hc=0&hs=0

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by theDirtiest; 08-13-2001 at 01:15 PM.
theDirtiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 12:45 PM   #2
Borga

Well, once they actually notice that you've got that domain name (if they haven't already) be prepared to lose it. I'm not familiar with the specific legal ins and outs of this type of situation, but I believe you're "cyber-squatting" and the legal currents have been such that if this eventually goes to court, you'll lose easily.

You're probably best off not to put much work into this site, because I don' t envision you owning that URL for too long.
Borga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 01:05 PM   #3
theDirtiest

If I did do something with the site, I probably would only put a message board on it. Basically I am hoping they will make me an offer, but I wanted to know what type of legal action could be held against me if I did do anything with the site. Does anybody have any ideas as to what the domain name would be worth to them?

Last edited by theDirtiest; 08-13-2001 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:45 PM   #4
Borga

Probably they'd offer you what you paid to register the domain, if they wanted to take a hardline. After all, they could probably take you to court, win, and stick you with the costs. That would just be a pain in the behind, however.
Borga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 08:25 PM   #5
Lil_Red

You may want to consider approaching them about developing the site and being the "official" site for team racing auto circuit. This creates goodwill and they may cover your costs to develop and host the site.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 06:53 AM   #6
theDirtiest

I could do that, but I really don't have that much free time on my hands right now. I guess all I can do is sit and wait.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:33 AM   #7
PlanetLaunch

In case you are still wondering about this domain name - unfortunately the term "team racing auto circuit" has been trademarked. Owners of a trademark have pretty solid legal rights to the domain name consisting of the trademark.

Details for the trademark are located here:
http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?...ate=nma6td.3.9

It is always a good idea to do a trademark search before registering a questionable domain name.

Best of Luck
PL

Last edited by PlanetLaunch; 12-27-2001 at 04:15 PM.
PlanetLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 07:17 AM   #8
theDirtiest

thanks for the link.....

it seems they trademarked it the day before I bought the domain name. the league seems to be using www.traczone.com as their home page. they didn't buy www.traczone.net, so now I own that too.

oh well if my plan doesn't work. i would only be burned $45 dollars (for the 3 domain names).