Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2001, 06:45 PM   #1
HeroCube

Smile Commerce from Message Boards.

What is the best way to make money off of message boards? I'm new to this kinda stuff, so this might be stupid, but this is what i have in mind....

Don't they make a script that will change your banners for you? If so i'd like to have a banner on top that is CPC (i think thats cost per click), and a CPM banner on bottom. And these banners will change out as members of my board surf through my forums. Does this sound possible? How would i go about this. ANY advice is greatly appreciated.
HeroCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 08:55 PM   #2
firstmark

Message boards aren't very popular with ad networks.
As far as cpm www.contentzone.com
and www.focusin.com will accept message boards. Message boards are notorious for low click thru rates so cpc sponsors wont make you much.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 04:51 AM   #3
b2gdotcom

I own a message board site. Try using fastclick's pop-under program. If you get enough traffic you can get around 900$ a month with them.

Just make sure to tell them you ONLY want to do pop-unders so they accept you.
b2gdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 05:49 AM   #4
firstmark

Fastclick does not allow their ads to be run on message boards. Even the popunders terms forbid it.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 06:04 AM   #5
b2gdotcom

I currently use fastclick as my popunder sponsor. When I applied they told me they were accepting message board sites as long as I only serve pop-unders.

I am also allowed to run their 468x60 banner code on my main site (Not message board).

David Gross @ Fastclick.com ensured me that the NO MESSAGE BOARD warning is only ment for the 468x60's.
b2gdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 10:04 PM   #6
HeroCube

push bump kick

Thanks for the info. How much traffic are you talking?
HeroCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 11:51 PM   #7
Mbarb

I have a small message board site and after asking I was also allowed to run ONLY the popunders. I was approved to use the 468x60's on a separate small site and they are performing well considering the small amount of traffic I currently have.
Mbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 11:58 PM   #8
mjames

Look how www.sitepointforums.com does it. Banner ads don't work. Targeted text ads do.
mjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 04:34 AM   #9
denasio

Quote:
Message boards are notorious for low click thru rates so cpc sponsors wont make you much.
Yep, you're right about that. I have a site that provides free message boards for webmaster. My CTR for this month is 0.01%. I don't think you can get lower than that! I didn't expect it to be so low, but I guess It make sense because message board visitors are interested in reading the messages on the board, not clicking on banners. I'm considering making it a paid service instead of a free service.
denasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 12:56 PM   #10
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by HeroCube
push bump kick

Thanks for the info. How much traffic are you talking?
Who are you aiming this at or are you just generally curious what other messageboard sites do for traffic?
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 04:59 PM   #11
harry

denasio

==============================================
I don't think you can get lower than that! I didn't expect it to be so low, but I guess It
make sense because message board visitors are interested in reading the messages on the board, not clicking on banners.
=============================================

I guess it depends on how targeted the banners and text-links are.

I do click on banners and text-links on the forums I'm on or visit, including the geek talk. But as you might have noticed, things are rather targeted and of interest to the audience of the forum. You may wish to study the geek talk banners and links and their positions on the pages for a week or two and see for yourself what I mean

All the best,

Harith
http://www.danex-exm.dk
harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 06:05 PM   #12
Strider

Depending on how many registrations you do in a month, you can make some decent money by utilizing co-registration offers on your sign up forms.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 06:05 PM   #13
Lil_Red

Quote:
Originally posted by harry

I guess it depends on how targeted the banners and text-links are.

I do click on banners and text-links on the forums I'm on or visit, including the geek talk. But as you might have noticed, things are rather targeted and of interest to the audience of the forum. You may wish to study the geek talk banners and links and their positions on the pages for a week or two and see for yourself what I mean

All the best,

Harith
http://www.danex-exm.dk
I have run extremely targeted ads on our messageboards and their click through rate is no better than a run of site banner. In some cases, the CTR was worse.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 06:08 PM   #14
demae

How much is FastClick paying for the popunders?
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 06:42 PM   #15
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by demae
How much is FastClick paying for the popunders?
This varies to some degree from site to site and channel to channel, and can obviously be affected by which campaigns you select, but most member sites see net returns in the range of $1.5-$2.5CPM.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote