Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2001, 09:41 AM   #1
vays

Default Credit cards

Hi geeks,
I'm sure this question was discussed many times but I was unable to find proper answer.
What is the best(cheapest) credit card processor for 40$-200$ items? As I'm not US resident I'm talking about "no merchant account".
I've already checked many sites and liked:

1) Clickbank - they have many advantages but their forms are awfull and they don't support variable payments( You have to register all possible items first).

2) Instabill - Very good but 10% is a bit high.

3) Eumerchants.com - There a lot of links to this site( 3$+3% is really good) but now it redirects to another site.

any more?
vays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 09:42 AM   #2
FreemanTech

Default Bladerunner

Instabill will allow you to fill out an application and then send you an email saying they are not currently accepting new merchants.

...why not just remove the application form and save us time? I dunno....
FreemanTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 10:28 AM   #3
darnell

Default For their database

They want you to fill out the form so they can have your information in their database. Not a nice move if you ask me....

Because now if they get hacked, your information gets stolen and you were not even a customer. As I found out with RealNames when I was doing some research but never actually purchased a "realname".
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 11:07 AM   #4
Strider

The cheapest long term method is to get a merchant account and process them yourselves instead of dealing with a third party processor. Contact some of the companies selling merchant accounts and see if they will give you a discount on the prices they have listed. The mark up on merchant account set up fees is significant and we almost always give out a discount to customers who ask for it.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 11:09 AM   #5
Strider

I forgot something

Quote:
3$ + 3% is really good
That is a terrible price if you ask me. You can get a merchant account and pay $0.30 cents per transaction and 2.35% discount rate.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:15 AM   #6
singloon

GeekGuide

when i started looking for non-merchant a/c requirement payment processors for my small hosting biz, it came down to revecom.com vs instabill.com

i decided to use revecom.com for my hosting and reoccuring payments @ US$49.95 setup and 3.95% + US$1 per transaction and also use instabill.com for miscellaneous charges like, domains, upgrades etc @ no setup fee and 10% flat rate per transaction

the average transaction amount i evaluated them on for me was US$33 - 270

revecom.com is highly recommended by other web hosts at webhostingtalk.com which is another reason i chose them.

But as you get more transaction a real merchant a/c is best

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 12:12 PM   #7
vays

Singloon, thank You very much for revcom.com. Looks like a good company to go with.

Quote:
The cheapest long term method is to get a merchant account
Yes I know that but I'm not US resident and that would take more than 1000$ to setup a merchant account.
vays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 02:28 PM   #8
LaNMaN
Member.

What is the difference between a payment processor (like Revecom) and a full-fledged merchant account? What are the best low-cost merchant account providers?

Lenny
LaNMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 02:35 PM   #9
Graeme

I use http://www.digibuy.com but the other day i came across http://2checkout.com/ they seem quite good and im thinking about moving over to them as their processing fee is only 5.5% unlike digibuys 13.9%
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 02:43 PM   #10
Strider

Quote:
What is the difference between a payment processor (like Revecom) and a full-fledged merchant account? What are the best low-cost merchant account providers?
A merchant account has a longer application process and generally a higher up front cost. With a merchant account you are processing the payments through your own terminal or gateway and the money is deposited into your account 2 or 3 days later. You have much smaller transaction fees and discount rates.

A payment process like Revecom is using a shared merchant account (not allowed by most banks). It is easier to sign up with them but they take a much larger chunk of everything you process through them.
Old 07-24-2001, 05:25 PM   #11
demae

> A merchant account has a longer application process
> and generally a higher up front cost.

What if you sign up for this affiliate program?

http://www.acceptcreditcards.com/cash.asp

They pay you $200 for every merchant account that you successfully sell. So, you could sign up for the affiliate program, sell a merchant account to yourself, and that offsets your startup costs.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 05:55 PM   #12
Strider

Even with a $200 discount you could get a better rate than what they are offering. In any event, his main problem is he is outside the US so a merchant account may not be an option for him.
Old 07-26-2001, 04:51 PM   #13
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Push
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 06:50 PM   #14
JonPKibble
Member.

Strider-

"That is a terrible price if you ask me. You can get a merchant account and pay $0.30 cents per transaction and 2.35% discount rate."

Where might I go about getting this rate?

Also, Steve--- what does "Push " mean?
JonPKibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 02:38 AM   #15
singloon

GeekGuide

Quote:
Originally posted by JonPKibble
Strider-

"That is a terrible price if you ask me. You can get a merchant account and pay $0.30 cents per transaction and 2.35% discount rate."

Where might I go about getting this rate?

Also, Steve--- what does "Push " mean?
push is like bumping a post to the top of the order, but why not just fixed it steve ?

as to the merchant rates, most of those would involve a pretty hefty setup fee

2 i have been looking at are

http://planetpayment.com/planet.cfm?...chant_services

Verisign Payflow Link or Pro
http://verisign.com/products/payflow/pricing.html

and then local merchant services
http://www.stgeorge.com.au/code/ecom...rtners/who.asp

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote