|Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
|07-23-2001, 03:40 AM||#1|
Join Date: Nov 2000
Should BuildReferrals.com use frames?
Do you think it would be a good idea to use frames on www.BuildReferrals.com?
The left part of the page pretty much remains the same from page to page. I see a few advantages in using frames on this design:
(1) Loading time is shortened because then we don't need to use tables for the page layout. Some of the HTML pages are 100-200 KB!
(2) The current design has a width suitable for viewing at a resolution of 640x480. In a framed design, it would be easier to expand the page to make use of extra space if the visitor has a larger resolution.
(3) The navigation buttons in the left sidebar remain on the screen no matter where the visitors scroll, so they are always accessible. (The left sidebar would have to be made shorter vertically though, so that it has no scrollbar.)
I also see a few disadvantages:
(1) Many search engines cannot read the framed pages, so we lose rankings.
(2) Search engines might send users to a page that is supposed to be part of a frame.
(3) There are more files to keep track of in a framed design.
What do you guys think---which is better overall?
Last edited by demae; 07-23-2001 at 03:43 AM.
|07-23-2001, 04:24 AM||#2|
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Beautiful Darwin
Demae the page looks great as is. I wouldn't clutter it up with frames.
But you might like to make an extra page or two to place some of the opening page on (Like calculate your earnings on one and Premium member on another. It scrolls on forever.
That is a turn off for a lot of surfers.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|What do you think about using Frames ?||Scuba||Web Design and Webmaster Issues||3||08-29-2001 11:31 AM|
|How to get rid of frames?||AK||Web Design and Webmaster Issues||1||01-06-2001 12:05 AM|
|Site forwarding and getting rid of frames||funpage||Web Design and Webmaster Issues||1||12-30-2000 08:50 PM|
|How to update 2 frames with 1 submit||WildComputer||Web Design and Webmaster Issues||1||08-06-1999 04:21 AM|
|can you tell me about frames?||fairhousing||Web Design and Webmaster Issues||1||04-07-1999 05:29 AM|