Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > geek/yak
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2001, 11:49 PM   #1
demae

Unhappy Virus Warning!

It was brought to my attention yesterday that a virus is in circulation via email. I looked for it and to my surprise I found it on mine. ..
Please follow the directions and remove it from yours TODAY!!!!!!!
No Virus software can detect it. It will become active on June 1, 2001.
It might be too late by then. It wipes out all files and folders on the hard drive. This virus travels thru E-mail and migrates to the 'C:\windows\command' folder.
The bad part is: You need to contact everyone you have sent ANY E-mail to in the past few months. Many major companies have found this virus on their computers. Please help your friends !!!!!!!!
DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. McAFEE and NORTON CANNOT DETECT IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT BECOME A VIRUS UNTIL JUNE 1ST. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!!!

Do you believe that a friend of mine sent me an alert and the procedure that we have to follow for the possible infection of SULFNBK.EXE. And I had checked, just to make sure. An then... the file was there, hidden even of McAfee and Norton, maybe waiting something to start work.
Well, see bellow the procedure that I followed step by step, and I found the file:
1. Start/Find Folders. Type the file name: SULFNBK.EXE
2. If it find, open Windows Explorer, browse into the folder where the file is and delete it. Do not click with left button on the file and do not open it.
3. Just delete it
4. Mine was on Windows/Command
5. The virus from the person who gave the alert was on Windows/Config
Yes, Norton and McAfee do not detect it.
We do not know if it makes some damage on the machine, but I think that anybody will not want to test it to know, will it?
Folks, this is not fun, I deleted it from my computer.
And my definitions are updated.
Do the same, ok?

WAIT!! Don't delete sulfnbk.exe!! The above was a virus warning hoax that I received today. Actually, one may say that the message itself is a virus. Given:

A normal virus tricks the computer into doing something harmful and then forwarding the virus to everyone in the victim's address book.

This message tricks the human into doing something harmful (deleting sulfnbk.exe), and then forwarding the message to everyone in his address book.

See the power of social engineering in action. Notice how the message did not say "delete c:\windows\command\sulfnbk.exe". It makes the person do a search for the file. This makes him even more convinced, when he finds sulfnbk.exe, that his computer has been infected by a virus. At that point, he deletes the file, and forwards it to all his friends to "warn" them.

sulfnbk.exe is a legitimate file that comes with windows. It is used to translate long filenames.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 07:16 PM   #2
Jan

Administrator

Talking

I am so glad you added that bit at the bottom!!!
If anyone is interested in what the file is used for, I have just looked this up for a friend at the Microsoft site.

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q190/4/18.ASP
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 07:32 PM   #3
HostAB

Unhappy

I guess it's just in windows 9x, because i don't have the file in Windows 2000. Does someone with win2k have it?
HostAB is offline   Reply With Quote