Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell > Archives of old posts from Let's Barter/Trade, Buy, & Sell
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2001, 06:09 PM   #1
Voltaire

Unhappy WWF news site for sale - popular

Hi all, I posted this on the Get High Forums, and thought I should post it here to see if there's any interest. I am selling my WWF news and rumors site, internetoutlaws.com.

Back in the heyday of internet advertising, this domain was getting over 2 million page views a month. Due to server costs, and the death of online ads, I was forced to shut it down. A while back, the site was relaunched with some success, but the time has come where I must sell the site.

That being said, here is the required info:

1. Your name - Mike Vanderveen

2. URL - http://www.internetoutlaws.com

3. Age of site - 2 years

4. Approximate monthly page views and/or unique visitor - Currently at 2000 unique visitors per day. Monthly page views varies.

5. How does site generate income? How much?
The death of UGO means there is currently no banner advertising. I am currently just hosting banners to other similar sites, if only to better fit the design of the site.

6. Who develops content and how much time does it require?: Most of the content is done by volunteers who work for free. This is a WWF news and rumors site, and volunteer reporters post news on the site daily, handled by an SSI based news program. The site is updated up to 20 times a day in this way.

7. Reason for selling: I need the money. I'm going to university in the near future, and need to muster up any money I can get.

8. Will you help with the transition of the site to the new owner? Yes

9. Does the site have an e-zine or newsletter?: No, but the site does have a UBB forum.

10. Selling price: A few grand, any offers will be considered. I don't have the time, interest or energy to invest any long term effort into this site, and I need money.

I should add that this site has been around for 2 years, and has a loyal following. The content is generated without effort, and is a very easy way to generate high traffic. During the 2 years on the net, this site has brought in millions of hits, all with little work on the part of the webmaster. Should the internet advertising situation on the net ever improve, this site will have a large amount of traffic on hand.

To clear up any questions about the traffic, this site did breifly close down in September this year. High server costs, and the lack of a banner company, forced this to be shut down. It has recently been relaunched with a great design, and is doing quite well. It made some good money when I had a good sponsor, so who knows what could be earned with this site in the future.

The sale of this site comes with:

-The internetoutlaws.com domain
-All site content, design and files
-UBB version 6 installed
-EZ newsboard script, which handles the news
-Homefree hosting software, which can be used to offer free hosting, as I've done in the past with this site.

I should also note that I did get started with plans to offer incentivized advertising on the site. As such, I have a script that will track how many times each visitor clicks on ad banners. Maybe the new owner can put it to use?

That's all the info for now. Anyone interested or having questions can e-mail me or post a reply here.