Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-1999, 02:21 AM   #1
Arn

Cool Barter area?

I guess the "open discussion" area was taken down... so I think this is the next best place to post about this topic...

Steve,

Any thoughts of a barter area similar to the one on gethighforums?

It would border on allowing ads, I suppose... but a designated area for people to trade ad spots or provide reciprocal services might be nice.

It would might help with the small-business aspect of many smaller sites. Trade newsletter ads, cobranded areas etc...

Of course, all 3rd party (referal urls) ads would be not allowed... but I don't see anything wrong with site owners posting about their particular site.

arn

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-1999, 12:51 PM   #2
Questy

Lightbulb

Hi Arn,

I can't speak for Steve, and he makes the ultimate decisions around here. But with that being said, I'll throw some fuel on this fire to see what ignites, hopefully nothing too painful.

With the caution of being "too commercial" arising a bit in the other forums, I think a forum where it's like a business mixer would be something to think about. All the rules of forum etiquette would still apply, but a thread like this is the place where folks could post things that they are looking to buy, looking to sell, looking for partners, contract help, etc.

We're looking for way's to expand in a productive way. I think this kind of business to business forum would be a great spin off for this forum, as well as get some of the traffic in a separate area where it belongs.

FWIW,

------------------
Regards from your forum moderator
..... "Questy"

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 12-11-1999).]
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-1999, 08:44 PM   #3
Aaron Dragushan

Thumbs up

I vote yes too ;-)

I think an area like this would be of great benefit to those interested. IMHO, the forum can't really be harmed by a section like this, since the purpose would be clearly stated as the title...

- Aaron
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-1999, 01:29 AM   #4
Ted S

Cool

While it sounds intresting, I pitty the person who must sort out the ads from the messages.

Titles and rules are good and all but enforcing them and making people comprehend or obay them is not so simplistic.

However, minus the spam/ads this will create, it sounds real intresting.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-1999, 01:39 AM   #5
Aaron Dragushan

Cool

It really seems like a simple rule would suffice. No urls except your own site. This wouldn't be a place to actually exchange ads, it would simply be a place someone could say, "I would like to trade 10,000 impressions on my site, http://somekindasite.com/ . Is anyone interested?"

or maybe, "I'd like to trade some traffic for a banner. Can anyone make me a banner?"

No problem here!

- Aaron
Aaron Dragushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-1999, 01:51 AM   #6
Arn

Cool

Ted,

I see what you're saying... and there would always be borderline cases...

I think one thing this board has going for it is that the primary entrance area for newbies is likely via ClickQuick - so most spam/rule offenders tend to post in the Making Money on the Internet site.

The people who stick around long enough to find out that there are other message areas are more likely to know how things work.

The only other positive is that gethighforum's version of the barter board doesn't seem to have any problems with abuse.

arn

Old 12-12-1999, 08:38 AM   #7
Heartz

Cool

I think that would be really cool . A place where we could barter services such as content .

I think spam can be handled pretty easily . The moderator can delete the post immediately . No problems what-so-ever . however I do feel that the webmaster board can serve the bartering purpose . It is basically considered a one stop webmastering area and I really like it to be that way . Unlike get high forums where people have to scroll through many boards.

------------------
Heartz Communities
www.heartz.com

Free Web-Based Email
Heartz To Heartz Forums - Free Forums For Your Site

Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-1999, 09:26 AM   #8
Questy

Cool

RE: While it sounds intresting, I pitty the person who must sort out the ads from the messages.

I think I'm up for the task Ted! I think some of the "problems" we have here will sort out over time. I've seen "online communities" come and go over the past 15+ years. I've been around since the early days of the pre-internet online services. If the viewers of the forum see the rules, and how they are enforced, as well as a community that works with the moderators and administrators, things will work.

RE:However, minus the spam/ads this will create, it sounds real intresting.

Thanks for the comment! I'm hoping maybe after the holidays Steve will give this some thought.

RE:It really seems like a simple rule would suffice. No urls except your own site.

Exactly! If YOU have a domain to sell, if YOU have a site to sell, if YOU are looking for contract help or a partner, if YOU are offering services. Leave the URL of YOUR site, and YOUR e-mail address. That cut and dried, no more no less.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept of a "business mixer" it's usually a social gathering of business people where the whole purpose is to introduce who you are and what you do to other business people. In essence you are exchanging business cards.

RE: It is basically considered a one stop webmastering area and I really like it to be that way

not exactly. See: http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/F...ML/000083.html

Thanks for all your input...

"Q"

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-1999, 12:12 PM   #9
Ted S

Cool

Time to see what me and my friend perl can do for a barter system... any suggesitons?

[This message has been edited by Ted Sindzinski (edited 12-12-1999).]
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-1999, 03:09 PM   #10
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Cool

I'm alive http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I like this idea very very much. Thank you all for your loyality, support, and this great idea.

I've been to VP and poked around in Jim's Let's Barter and as much as I like and respect Jim a great deal I really don't think that Forum "clicks"

From my perspective, at this stage of our development a "geek/barter" or whatever we think is a good name is really quite easy to promote. My sence of the issue is that a lot of folks would be drawen to this Forum who would normally not come here. Desginers, artists, coders, and perhaps more high end type Webmaster with excess inventory so they trade impressions. Obviously we already have the demand with domain names and such.

Please understand, I'm a bit "gun shy" at the moment over the "Abuse Issue". No offence meant to anyone but it's taken it's toll and I'm sure I will snap out of it. I mention this because I envision driving trafic directly to this forum via the usuall stuff and that might create yet another problem. These visitors wouldn't come to the BB via Ryan and plop down in the making money forum. I already do this with all Forums via goto and external links.

Just an idea Ted or any other Perl geek. A script which parses the threads in the barter forum and plops those puppies on a page via SSI. So you go to a page on another site and their is the date and time stamp with the Topic title and the link directly into the barter Forum.

Just an idea. The name of the forum is real important for two reasons. It must be descriptive and short and all external links use this name so if we change it later all those links have to be fixed or we go the redirect route. The description under the name can be changed any time we want.

Please fire away with some names and ideas?

Barter
geek/barter
geek/trade
Let's Barter
Geek Barter/Exchange

Just some names.

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
www.cool-seek.com Find what you want

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-1999, 07:16 PM   #11
Arn

Cool

Hey Steve,

Umm.... I like keeping with the Geek/ theme - but 2 questions.

Would a name like "geek/barter" really "fit", if it is in fact simply a part of geek/talk. It's not geek/money-making for example.

As well, Would using the "geek" designation not attract certain folk - like the graphic artists... if that's what you're thinking.

arn
Old 12-12-1999, 08:45 PM   #12
Monkey
Pending Review

Cool

Woo hoo!

Service Swap
Barter Market
Geek Market
The Trading "Post" -- haha! (c'mon Steve!)

Oh my gosh ... I'm stopping on that one.

-Monkey

------------------
http://www.zone8.com/monkey -- The ultimate in dirty primate humor.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-1999, 01:04 AM   #13
Steve_S

Cool

Yikes Dr. Primate http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

"The Trading "Post"

Thats very very very very very clever!

I likie a great deal.

Thoughts from others?
Old 12-13-1999, 07:45 AM   #14
Monkey
Pending Review

Thumbs up

Oh, by the way -- I was so quick to start thinking of names that I forgot to mention I thought it was a great idea. I've attempted to get in touch with different humor-related sites to swap links, but never knew exactly where to do it. This would be a nice place to shout out and make some connections.

-Monkey

------------------
http://www.zone8.com/monkey -- The ultimate in dirty primate humor.
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-1999, 09:08 AM   #15
Steve_S

Cool

After looking at Matts Barter Forum I have a question or two.

How do you prevent this Forum from becoming a "Classified Ads" place? Where do you draw the line?

Imagine this: We will build your site and host it for free. You get 50% of the profit...etc?

Imagine this: Come work for us as a designer and we will give you host your own site for free. Use this site for whatever you want. None of our banners are required. All the content is up to you.

Thoughts?

------------------
Best Regards,
Steve_S
Your Administrator
www.very-cool-stuff.com Tons of High Quality Free Stuff
www.coolgroup.com Multi-Media Postcards & Community
www.cool-seek.com Find what you want