Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-1999, 05:01 PM   #1
Arn

Cool Opt-in categories...

Hey there,

Lets say I'm creating an opt-in mailing list and would like for users to specify their interests... like:

Computers, Entertainment, Home & Garden, Webmaster Topics, Sports, Travel.

Are categories this broad of use in terms of targetting advertising?

I've seen other opt-in lists who have like a million categories... but the more categories, the more of a pain it is for users to fill it out.

On the other hand, Recommend-It has some extremely broad categories (but a large volume of subscribers).

Now, I don't plan on becoming a major opt-in advertising list. I just want to be able to target advertising when I need to.

arn

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-1999, 05:24 PM   #2
Questy

Lightbulb

Arn,

Interesting question.

The really neat thing about marketing is that sometimes you find your niche totally by accident.

Generally speaking, I'd start with a few broad categories, before I tried to fine tune them. You may find that by the traffic in one area you have enough to break it up into sub categories. Maybe you'll even see enough comments or requests with in that category to see a marketing niche for yourself. (It's really cool when someone comes up to you and says, yes, there's really a need for what you're doing.).

I believe it's much easier to fine tune later, than try to guess specifics up front.

My initial reaction to your question based on my experience, your mileage will vary based on your local conditions... http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif

Hope this helps...

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 12-01-1999).]
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-1999, 05:36 PM   #3
Arn

Cool

Thanks for the quick reply Questy.

For now, I think i'll stick with general categories...

I guess what keeps nagging me though is - How useful is the category "Pets" (for example)? I guess there are Pets related sites, or Pet stores... but certainly Dogs or Cats would be a lot more useful....

but then, you get into a downward spiral... http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Same with "Computers" - Mac, Windows etc... would be far more useful...

but I don't to present a huge intimidating list to people either.

arn
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-1999, 05:51 PM   #4
Questy

Cool

Arn,

Ya, I guess you caught me online.

While I see where you're tempted to go with this, my gut still tells me start broad first.

Who knows, your sources may be "Computered out" and not care about any computer newletter, but the animal lovers feel left out, and jump at the chance to learn more about pets. There's where you could see an obvious trend, and the decision is made for you.

If you play around with the idea, come back and talk about it, I'd be curious to see where this takes you.
Questy is offline   Reply With Quote