Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Marketing Your Website Online
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-1999, 04:16 PM   #1
Questy

Question What's the point in DMOZ?

Netscape is awful ambitious in DMOZ.org, maybe too ambitious. Right now it looks like Yahoo without the advertising.

Do you think they'll stay commercial free? Or are they waiting to build something they can sell later?

Anyone here have any stories to tell? are you an editor? Know one who is? Know anyone who actually uses dmoz???

The truth is out there somewhere isn't it???

------------------
Regards from your forum moderator
..... "Questy"

Editor of The geek/talk Chronicles
Visit The Worlds of Questy
Business ..|.. Philosophy ..|.. Society ..|.. Technology

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-1999, 04:28 PM   #2
juice
Member.

Cool

the point of dmoz.org is to build a spam free directory. Those of us who build doorway pages could see this coming for a while. The old altavista directory was anything but quality. It was the worst of almost all the search engines.
It would be impossible for any one person to build a large database without automated submissions, but with thousands of volunteer editors they have accomlished it.

------------------
http://www.popularmp3list.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by juice (edited 10-27-1999).]
juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-1999, 01:44 PM   #3
Questy

Cool

I teach seminars in using search engines. For years I would show folks how you could find information on altavista that you couldn't find anywhere else. Yes it was quantity, rather than quality, but to someone who knew how to use it that quantity represented information that was not available anywhere else in any one single source.

It was the best of all search engines, if you knew how to use it. That was part of the problem. It was raw information waiting to be harvested. To harness all this "power" requires an interface that tool a little expertise in learning to master.

The question over time will be with thousands of volunteer editors will they accomlish it.

Still curious if anyone out there is, or know of a dmoz editor???
Old 11-06-1999, 07:24 PM   #4
Questy

Cool

I'm still waiting for someone from dmoz to answer me regarding the criteria for becoming an editor. Also, I've just visited DMOZ, and have hit on a bunch of dead links that were from links in their directory.

Geez, and I had hopes they'd be different that Yahoo http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/frown.gif
Old 11-06-1999, 09:41 PM   #5
Ariakas

Cool

Dmoz is nothing compared to Yahoo, even if they have more sites and better links Yahoo has a huge comunity user base.

One thing I dislike about dmoz is editors favour their own sites and in some cases don't list competition.
Ariakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-1999, 12:36 AM   #6
fairhousing
Member.

Talking

i applied for an editors position but they turned me down. man, they must have some hellaciously qualify folks as editor if i'm not worthy, hehe.

i believe netscape will definitely turn dmoz into a money making venture, that's what netscape is in biz for.

anybody know if they make anything from all the other folks that are using their db?

http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif
fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-1999, 05:03 PM   #7
Questy

Question

Fairhousing,

Like you I have applied as an editor, and have been turned down. I went to the feedback form, and asked what is the criteria for becoming an editor, and no one has replied. I spent quite a bit of time last night cruising DMOZ, and found quite a few dead links. Needless to say I'm wondering what DMOZ is all about???
Old 11-07-1999, 07:36 PM   #8
ShaneD

Cool

Here is a coupe of quotes in becomeing a editor at DMOZIf you get turned down.
Don't let that stop you from trying again. You can try picking a category more in need of an editor. Look in Regional and find your town or even your county if you are from a small town. If you speak more than one language look in World. Thats another place that can use some good help. Try Health/Conditions and Diseases see if something there could use your knowledge. You don't have to be a doctor to work in Health, just someone with experience and a clue.

Anyway, if you are turned down its most likely to be because the category you applied to edit is well covered by editors already. So look for something smaller and start there. You can work your way up. Showing you know what you are doing and have enough interest to log in regularly will get you accepted in more categories.

and
It is best to mention in your application that you desire to create a comprehensive listing of sites for the topic.
Make it clear that your motivation is not self-promotion.

HTH
Shane

------------------
Full Time Geek
www.searchlynx.com
ShaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-1999, 03:30 AM   #9
Questy

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback Shane!

(Welcome back, where you've hiding!)

Just curious, did you find this info on their site? Where? I couldn't find it! http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/frown.gif

I found a topic that had NO editor! Geez, if I apply to this topic and get turned down I will indeed wonder what's up http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks again...

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 11-08-1999).]
Old 11-09-1999, 07:06 PM   #10
ShaneD

Talking

Hey Hey,
I have been so busy it isn't funny. I work harder now than I ever did in the uncyber world.
Have added my own 1-1 banner exchange and a new personals section. Also doing consulting work for a larger search engine. But I come by my favorite forums everyday and read just have not been posting much.

I got that information from another forum that the top dmoz people frequent alot and that came from them.

Hope it helps everybody.
Shane

------------------
Full Time Geek
www.searchlynx.com
Old 11-09-1999, 10:26 PM   #11
fairhousing
Member.

Thumbs up

yeah, friend of mine applied for a category with no editors and was accepted in 2 days, hello. guess i'll try again.

good luck everybody http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
  • My Site Got Hacked, But I'm Coming Back?
  • Join, Games Top Sites! - Get More Targeted Traffic

fairhousing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-1999, 09:09 AM   #12
millasur

Cool

There are currently three DMOZ editors for the South Park section of DMOZ, and I appear to be the only one doing anything. It's unfortunate for me because I have to be careful about what I say about my own site.

The directory will only be as good as the editors make it: If there are dead links, e-mail the DMOZ editor in question and tell them.

------------------
Best Wishes,

Millasur ~ Total South Park Webmaster
http://www.totalsouthpark.com - Your #1 for South Park on the Net!

millasur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-1999, 05:35 AM   #13
Questy

Cool

Shane,

If you could post the URL of that forum, or e-mail if you'd rather not post it, I'd appreciate it.

I have been accepted as an editor. However, in trying to get a conversation going, asking what I feel are pretty straight forward questions about the structure of DMOZ from a personnel perspective I've received some pretty vague answers.

When I "interviewed" as a volunteer for Tripod I had an online interview, as well as a telephone interview. I was impressed with their thoroughness. As a volunteer, I understand how Tripod's structure works, and have a direct contact to report problems and issues.

I guess I was expecting more of this kind of organization from DMOZ???

Thanks to you all for your input, keep us posted... http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif
"Q"

[This message has been edited by Questy (edited 11-16-1999).]
Old 11-16-1999, 08:01 AM   #14
WildComputer

Cool

From the number of reports i have read on all the webmaster boards (not just this one), there appears to be some serious abuse being done by many many editors.

------------------
WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-1999, 06:13 PM   #15
ShaneD

Thumbs up

congrats on getting selected...The way I understand it is they have been doing some house cleaning.
here is the link http://searchengineforums.com/bin/Ultimate.cgi
They frequent the dmoz board there alot including some of the top meta editors.
Shane

------------------
Full Time Geek
www.searchlynx.com